• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removal of Headlight and wiper switches?

JohnEngland

Local time
4:02 PM
Reaction score
What all is involved with removing the headlight and wiper switches from a 1973 charger rallye gauge cluster...is there any special tools required.

What all is involved with removing the headlight and wiper switches from a 1973 charger rallye gauge cluster...is there any special tools required.
Just removed mine yesterday from a 72. I just had to remove the knobs and behind that is a plastic retaining nut that was hand tight, remove that and unplug the wiring and that's it.

The headlight switch has a button that you push to release the knob shaft from the switch. Can be a pain to reach up under there to get to it.
The wiper knob pulls off of the shaft. Best to pry from the back of the knob with a tool.

Headlight switch knob ( spring loaded )

NOS-Headlight-Switch-1962-64-Mopar-1965-67-Coronet-1967-_1.jpg

Sometimes is somehow tricky try to press and pull out the headlight knob/shaft

After remove the knobs you'll see the attaching nuts.

s-l300.jpg

Left, headlight switch, right, wiper switch... black piece, special tool for them. ( I never have needed any special tool LOL )

Last edited:
Yes there is a release button for the head light knob, the manual tells you how, the reason for this is for safety, so the knob will never come loose and fall off, clever engineering for 1973..

Headlight switch knob ( spring loaded )
View attachment 493387
Sometimes is somehow tricky try to press and pull out the headlight knob/shaft
After remove the knobs you'll see the attaching nut.

I'm against this same problem with the button and trying to get the shaft out of a 69 A-100 with the exact same switch. The knobs aren't removable. This is about as bad as trying to get a old worn key just right to turn the ignition, what's the trick?

it has being in that way before 73.

My '62 has the same switch with the release button.

Push in on the button before pulling on the knob. I'm thinking it works better when you have the knob in the "interior light" position. Of course disconnect the battery before removing switches.

I've been fiddle fartin around with this for the past hour trying everything. I can feel where it hits a point the tab with go down but then kinda tweaks when I pull on the knob. When I release pressure off the tab from the shaft, it comes up & the shaft will further come out a fraction to full on. I don't get it? I don't want to destroy the shaft.

Last edited:
I've been fiddle fartin around with this for the past hour trying everything. I can feel where it hits a point the tab with go down but then kinda tweaks when I pull on the knob. When I release pressure off the tab from the shaft, it comes up & the shaft will further come out a fraction to full on. I don't get it? I don't want to destroy the shaft.

Just read the "headlight switch control knob removal".
20201117_161750.jpg

That's what I've been doing, it seems right before full on is when the tab will depress, I get nothing! I've tried various pressures on the button, all to no avail.

Try to press it gently, not hard to the max and play with it. I'm telling, it's tricky.

Just in case, you need to press down the button it and pull out the known and stem assembly AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Last edited:
Try to press it gently, not hard to the max and play with it. I'm telling, it's tricky.

I've been doing everything, including that. My dam finger is numb from the button!

You have to hold your mouth right :p

Well that idea sure as hell didn't work, how'd it work out for you? After repeated frustrating attempts to get the shaft released from the switch, I said screw it! Took a screwdriver and bent 1 tab and started to go to town as a pry bar and started to destroy the switch without bent the shaft, I tore up that switch, PRESTO! Now that the switch was free, there's a small white washer that just wouldn't budge or break with a pair of pliers, I grabbed the knob and gave a good yank, that washer was like welded to the shaft, it took some effort.
Now I gotta get a switch and put it back together and hope it fixes my electrical issue????

Well that idea sure as hell didn't work, how'd it work out for you? After repeated frustrating attempts to get the shaft released from the switch, I said screw it! Took a screwdriver and bent 1 tab and started to go to town as a pry bar and started to destroy the switch without bent the shaft, I tore up that switch, PRESTO! Now that the switch was free, there's a small white washer that just wouldn't budge or break with a pair of pliers, I grabbed the knob and gave a good yank, that washer was like welded to the shaft, it took some effort.
Now I gotta get a switch and put it back together and hope it fixes my electrical issue????
I have just located the original switch I removed from my A100. Pics to follow, and I recall it was not easy wriggling that button to remove the switch.
https://www.1aauto.com/headlight-switch-diy-solutions-bss00649/i/1azhs00023

PART 1AZHS00023

Auto Transport Service
Back