• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remove undercoating

Chilsam

Local time
2:49 AM
Reaction score
What is the best or most effective way people have used to remove undercoating ? ...THANX!

A decent heat gun and a scraper is what I used before. The propane does work but stinks in a garage and heat control between softening/melting/and catching it on fire can be an issue.....ask me how I know! After the propane experience I used a sharp scraper first to take off bulk and went behind that with heat gun to get it down to metal. A nasty elbow work-out experience any way you go. Put down some news paper under the area you are scraping to catch the scraped off stuff or you end up pressing the warm remnants into the floor and have to get it off there also! Good luck

I've used both and can also say first hand that the torch sucks inside of a garage and the heat gun is much better. If the car is apart, a pressure washer can do pretty good too if you have a way to flip the car sideways on a rotisserie etc. I did a Challenger once using an A frame and hoisted the front end up. I left the air shocks on it and with them aired up all the way, I was able to get a pretty good angle up....and yes, the car was mostly apart.

Had mine sandblasted after I tried the scraper scenario in a limited area, even the sand blast median had a hard time taking it off. I will never regret the money spent to get it thoroughly cleaned off with bead blasting. If you value your time at all, it saved me tons of time and did a much better job! Something to think about.....
IMG_0791.JPG

I used a needle scaler and it worked fanatic without dropping hot stuff on you or burning down the garage . . .

Best way to go . . .

Got the whole back of my 67 belvedere done from the axle back in about 2 hours . . . it was amazing

I used a needle scaler and it worked fanatic without dropping hot stuff on you or burning down the garage . . .

Best way to go . . .

Got the whole back of my 67 belvedere done from the axle back in about 2 hours . . . it was amazing
I'm familiar with those. I had used one on concrete forms. How does it do on sheet metal? Do you have to watch that the pins don't dig in too much, distorting the surface?

Last edited:
I'm familiar with those. I had used one on concrete forms. How does it do on sheet metal? Do you have to watch that the pins don't dig in too much, distorting the surface?

Did not have any issues with the metal - it did not appear to distort or hurt the metal in any way, just keep a good angle on the attack and watch the "stuff" fly off

If your car is stripped down like Mocajava's or ALL flammable material plus gas tank and fuel lines a 250,000 btu heater will warm the bottom of car and under coating will scrap right off. You may not want to run it full blast until you get a feel for how it works. I did it on front inner front fenders around shock mounts, undercoat was 1/4" thick. Sounds crazy but done with care it worked for me. My car didn't have undercoating on the whole underside. A friend of mine showed me how to lay the car on it's side, no front fender and the quarter was damaged. Didn't do any more damage but it it was a little hairy. Used some 4x4 to prop it up so it wouldn't fall onto it's wheels.
1965 Dodge 009.JPG
Sand blasted the floor pan.

image.jpg
I actually used one of these and liked it better when it wasn't heated. That way it seemed to come off in chunks. Use a grinder to keep sharpening the blade.

Once you get it off what's the preferred coating material to apply?

Once you get it off what's the preferred coating material to apply?

Without a doubt . . . epoxy primer ( and make sure to sand the surface to give the primer something to "bite" into )

Auto Transport Service
Back