• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

removing 70 coronet front bumper assembly

moparmusclecars

Local time
7:00 PM
Reaction score
pulled about 8 bolts and the assembly feels lose all the way around. I have tried pulling it straight out from the car, and it seems to be hanging up on the ends, under the fender area, and right above the headlights. I can see a bolt that runs upward in the area, but I don't see how I could get to the nut right under the fender, unless it is accessible through the fender mud guard. Any idea why this bumper won't pull right off? I must be missing something. Thanks!

Attachments

• 70coronetgary1.jpg
    70coronetgary1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 693
asked Hubby, kellycom to join this post. He took the whole front bits off my car and I;m not sure if he HULKED out.... nothing broke, so I am guessing Hulk stayed put!!! LOL

Mine is off now ,I'll go look and post back.

- - - Updated - - -

There is no bolt under the fender. Look like the lower valance and mud guards have to be removed. But not sure about that. I would hafta put mine back on to tell you for certain,but I'm not ready yet.

It appears to me that the two bumper guards only need to have the bolts on the lower part of them unbolted (which I did) from the valance. The whole assembly moves around just fine, so it must be lose. I just can't seem to slide it out. There definitely is a bolt which goes up through the bottom of the top bumper area above the headlight area, and I can see the nut on the back side if I look in under the front of the fender. I thought maybe that nut was holding it up on the fender edge. It is a carriage bolt. Maybe I need to take pics. Thanks for any help.

A carriage bolt does protrude through a square hole(1 1/2) in the fender but it does not bolt to the fender. You may have to remove the lower valance in order to lower the bumper so the nut/carriage bolt will clear this clearance hole.

While we are on the 70 Coronet front bumper subject,What dictates whether or not you have a chrome or painted center piece?

Bigblock, removing the lower valance would help the front bumper to drop down enough to clear that bolt which protrudes upward and has the nut I believe hitting the bottom front of the fender. I will just remove the valance and try to take the bumper off. As far as what dictates why some center pieces are chrome, and some are painted is a good question. The super bee's I had were both painted centers if I remember correctly. I'll check into that some more and report back on what I find out. thanks for the advice on dropping the valance, I should have thought of that myself.

My Coronet 440 has a painted one ,but under that piece is chrome that has never seen daylight.

Auto Transport Service
Back