• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing A/C 73' Charger 400 SE

Chargintiger

Local time
5:33 AM
Reaction score
Hello, I am new here. I am from Manitoba Canada, just finished (are we ever finished) fully restoring a 73 Charger. Question - I don't need A/C here, as this is now a show car not a daily driver. All the components are shot, so I have decided to clean it up a bit and remove the A/C. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and any tips in regards to pulleys, belts and brackets I may need. I currently have a 4 groove pulley on the crank but I think I could go to a 2??? one to run alt, and one for water pump and power steering?? Any help would be appreciated. Oh its a 400 - added Holly Sniper EFI, electric fan, alum intake, lots of chrome :)

Rick

My 73 was an AC car and now not. Still has the AC HVAC box in it, just no AC components under the hood.

You already know the answer. You need the non-AC pulley setup, which is easier to get than the AC stuff. Not much to it other than that unless you want to also change out the HVAC box and ducts to make it look like it was never and AC car. That's a lot more work.

.... and welcome.

keep all of it

if you ever sell the car, it will have value, even if junk

down here where it's a tad warmer :poke:
it is a highly valued option, as unsightly as it may be

I know back in the day (my teen years) day 2 cars/builds
it was one of the 1st things we removed

Welcome fellow Manitoban!
Would love to see some pictures of your now restored 73. When you say the AC is shot, shot how? Lines, compressor, dryer?
As mentioned there is some value in those parts. As a restored show car, even if you don't get to use it there is some aesthetic beauty to displaying under the hood with everything there. As for not needing AC, you must not be from southern Manitoba, because we had one of the hottest summers ever last year and I am sure glad I had the AC in mine.

I cringe every time I see a nice factory AC musclecar, that all of the underhood stuff is missing. All I can say: WHAT FOOLS!

Get all of your pulleys and brackets from the same car.

Otherwise you are asking for mis-alignment issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back