• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing a Knob

67PB2SS

Local time
5:21 AM
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to remove the knob off this emergency flasher switch? The switch is out of a Coronet. I am including a photo of the switch. I am swapping knobs with the original one I have out of my Belvedere. Thank you.

67PB2SS

838-306R_a-2.jpg

I believe they just thread on to the shaft coming out of the switch. Might need a small pair of needle nose pliers to hold the shaft while trying to free up the knob.

I just pulled the knob off my 65 Belvedere HL switch and it was pressed on with a sort of coarse knurl on the edges of the triangular shaped shaft. Another possibility.
Mike

I'm afraid it wasn't meant to come off because it was made that way. Oh well, thanks for your responses.

The threaded bezel holds it in place. There are a series of notches on the bezel. Get a long, thin, flat head srewdriver and place it against one of the notches at the side. Carefully tap the bezel counter clockwise with a hammer on the screwdriver, keeping good pressure on the screwdriver so it doesn't slip off. The bezel only has to turn about a 1/4 turn before you can remove it by hand.

A little off the original question, but snap ring pliers work very well to take the notched bezel nuts off. Lessens the chance of damaging the corners of the notches.
Is there a possibility of taking the switch housings apart and swapping the parts?

Appreciate your replies. Guess I didn't make it very clear. Switch is out of the car, but the knob itself (see picture) is what has to come off. I believe that it can't because it wasn't meant to. Coronet and Belvedere knobs are different and apparently not interchangeable.

If you have a junk switch cut it off with a grinder (cut-off wheel) and perform a diagnoses on it's construction.
Mike

I bet it's screwed on and has thread locker.
(not today's thin type but a sort of pipe thread yellow-ish type)

You have a bad switch?

Were you able to get that knob off?

No, I wasn't able to. Took it over to a neighbor who was a former GM tech. Said it's not possible to be removed. I'm sending it back to the guy who sold it to me. Back on the lookout for a used '67 Belvedere emergency flasher switch.

No, I wasn't able to. Took it over to a neighbor who was a former GM tech. Said it's not possible to be removed. I'm sending it back to the guy who sold it to me. Back on the lookout for a used '67 Belvedere emergency flasher switch.
Still looking for this switch? I should have one or two - I need to look.

Auto Transport Service
Back