• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing dash on a 64 newport..

Marco Perez

Local time
5:51 AM
Reaction score
Can someone help or point me in the right direction, I want to remove my dash to test my fuel guage and the voltage limiter, my fuel and temp guages are down and I wanted to test them out see if it's a bad connection or a bad guage...

Any info would help thanks

20220520_192352.jpg

Before pulling the dash try grounding the lead to the temp gauge.. After you ground the wire switch the ignition on briefly... If the gauge starts headed for the hot peg the problem is the sender not the gauge or wiring...
The same test applies to the fuel gauge but the sender is harder to access...

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 6.39.33 PM.png

Can intake a voltage tester to that to check current? And where exactly in motor am I looking at ?

Can intake a voltage tester to that to check current? And where exactly in motor am I looking at ?

You don't need a voltage tester/multimeter.... Just ground the wire...
And where exactly?

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 6.39.33 PM.png

Or

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 9.34.16 PM.png

So just run a wire from that to anywhere on car and flip switch ? To test temp guage if temp moves than it is my fuel guage?

No... Ground that wire.... If the gauge moves to H the sender is the problem... Don't leave the key on for long, you can watch the gauge sweep fully to H but if you leave the key on it can damage the gauge because the sender always has some resistance & grounding the wire directly does not...

Grounding the wire to the fuel level sender in the fuel tank preforms the same test to the fuel gauge circuit...

Again don't leave the key on but the gauge should sweep.. If not the problem is in the gauge or wiring... If it does sweep the problem is the sending unit...

R/T do I get the temp sender wite.wire.. ground it to the car frame and turn key to on watching the temp guage if it moves its my fuel guage.... is there a way to test the guages not connected to the car ?

I would be no help for your question. However, I would like to ask a favor. Could you show a few pictures of the entire exterior of the car?

Auto Transport Service
Back