• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing dash speaker

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
My 66 Charger has a blown dash speaker. It also has factory air so access from under the dash is not good. I talked to a buddy with a 66 Belvedere yesterday, who just installed a retrosound speaker and really liked it. He had to pull the instrument cluster to get his in, but his speaker is centered in the dash. When looking at the Charger we noticed the speaker is offset to the passenger side. It almost looks like you could get at the bolts and remove it through the glovebox. Has anyone tried this?

Much easier to pull glove box than any other route

Thanks guys. Will the speaker come out without removing the radio?

yes but it will be tight
BTW I use a retro sound speaker and love it
I am currently in the process of installing a retro sound radio in a new dash bezel with new lens
It's looking awesome

IMG_20210724_185251679.jpg IMG_20210724_185257971.jpg IMG_20181007_125041334.jpg

Which speaker number is that? It is different than the one I was looking at.

Thanks for the speaker info. I think that will be the one I need. I am going to check the specs on my radio just to be sure. Is the new speaker actually shallower than the factory one?

My plan is to leave the factory radio in the dash for decoration and to mount the new radio under the dash. It has a CD player and is quite compact. I don't download music to my phone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the speaker info. I think that will be the one I need. I am going to check the specs on my radio just to be sure. Is the new speaker actually shallower than the factory one?

My plan is to leave the factory radio in the dash for decoration and to mount the new radio under the dash. It has a CD player and is quite compact. I don't download music to my phone.

yes a little bit but not as much as it looks like in the picture
the speaker was a direct replacement for the factory one
you can not tell it has anything any different than the factory speaker
The original speaker grill is in place
I would not leave the old one and mount the speaker under the dash

Sorry, I mean to replace the speaker in the dash, and leave the stock radio in the dash, and mount another small radio under the dash. There is an old FM convertor there now which it will replace.

light blue interior.jpg

ahhhhhhhhhhhh I understand now
my old dash was cut and we had a pioneer radio in it but it never looked good to me
The factory radio was long gone
The new retro-sound looks factory but offers features like hands free calling, blue tooth, USB inputs, and aux in.
Also available is a model with XM radio but I did not go the extra for that

IMG_20190407_131051767 (Medium).jpg

found dual speaker for my runner put it in and was impressed with the sound. Running a Pioneer radio and CD player. Plenty of sound for sure.

This is the radio I have had for years. Bought it for my last car and never installed it. Pretty small and inconspicuous.

Radio.jpg

To me they just don't look right
That's why I went to the retro-sound radio
Now it reminds me of driving the car back when I was 17

Plus I didn't want to cut the new Dash bezel

The previous owner of my '67 Plymouth had an aftermarket unit in the glove box. I hated it because you had to reach across the car to turn it on and off and even to change the volume. I removed it and went with the aforementioned dual cone speaker in the factory front location, two 6 x 9's out back and a sub-woofer under the seat. It sounds great. I love the fact that other than the digital display, it looks factory. I was even able to use the factory bezel and knobs.
20200424_184646.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back