• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing pinion gear while axle is in a car

vintage chromoly

Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
hello all.
I’m going to be helping a local friend change the gears on his strange 60. The axle is in the car and I don’t want to remove it to work on it.

How are you guys pressing the pinion out when the axle is in a car? Are you guys using a dead blow hammer and just wacking it out? I’d prefer to not hammer on it, if there is a tool to press it out?

I’m considering building a tool (kind of a saddle) to press it out with a bottle jack.

The carrier will not be a problem and I won’t need my spreader as the strange has adjustable pre load collars as opposed to shims.

Thanks for any help

Use a hefty punch and ball peen right in the dimple in the end of the pinion. It won't hurt a thing, lately I've been using my air hammer with the pointy bit. If your changing the gears anyway why worry about damage to the old ones ?

Thanks for the reply.
The old gears have about 30 passes on them. I’d like to not damage them.

Use a hefty punch and ball peen right in the dimple in the end of the pinion. It won't hurt a thing, lately I've been using my air hammer with the pointy bit. If your changing the gears anyway why worry about damage to the old ones ?

Auto Transport Service
Back