• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

removing steering wheel

Ben Simpkins

Local time
6:51 PM
Reaction score
I'm thinking about removing my steering wheel to align it with the tires, I'm unsure about how to take it off. Any tips? The car is a 66 Satellite

P.S. This is my first car and my first Mopar.

Mopar steering wheels are keyed/indexed to the shaft so they only go on one way. The steering knuckle on the box end is the same way. You will have to straighten your wheel to the center position then align the tires with the adjusting sleeves on the tie rods. I’ve done it by eye pretty close, but best to get an alignment done after to set the toe correctly.

Welcome by the way! Got any pics of that car? We like pictures! We are picture whores!

Welcome from Alabama, any competent alignment shop does this with the cost of the alignment. On another note please go to the Welcome Wagon and introduce yourself and post some pictures. We are glad to have new blood around here, especially the younger generation to keep things going.

Take your car to an alignment shop they set the front end with the steering wheel centered, you adjust the front end not the steering wheel.

Auto Transport Service
Back