• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing the "chrome" from armrest bases

copper67440

Local time
1:11 AM
Reaction score
I want to try and clean the chrome off my armrest bases. Don't have the coin to buy new ones. Oven cleaner? Brake fluid?

I was going to paint mine black but wound up ordering fronts and rears from PG Classic when they were having a 20% off sale $37 per pair... If that helps with a decision process at all

Don't use any chemicals, might hurt the plastic more then remove the chrome. Try wet sanding with some 400 paper. What are you going to do with them after you remove the chrome?
Wayne

I easily sanded the chrome off. Now not too sure how to finish them. I tried vinyl wrap (looks identical to chrome) but just wasn't happy with the corners.

You cannot re-do the chrome in the fashion you are trying. It is far cheaper to buy a pair than to try and do what you are trying to do. Is it that hard to afford from 40.00 to 50.00 bucks for replacements? Money well spent. If you are still set on not buying new then I have my old set which you can have. Let me know and I will get pics up and a price for you....

You can use glass bead to blast off the existing flaking chrome. Then paint them with an aluminum color paint.

For some reason I thought they were more expensive then that. Been a while since I checked.

" It is far cheaper to buy a pair than to try and do what you are trying to do. Is it that hard to afford from 40.00 to 50.00 bucks for replacements?"

More like $100 plus shipping for all 4. The OP never stated what their plan was with stripping them. I thought of trying to make mine good enough that would pass casual inspection. My car is attempting to bleed me dry so I am always looking of ways to re-use parts.

I was going to paint mine black but wound up ordering fronts and rears from PG Classic when they were having a 20% off sale $37 per pair... If that helps with a decision process at all
Don't see rears for 67.

It will peel off like an orange. Mine did anyway. Then I painted them .

After you strip them you can try the chrome paint that duplicolor makes let it dry for a day then hit it with duplicolor clear. should look good enough to get by..

Just sand 'em down and paint 'em semi-gloss black with some Eastwood paint. That's what did to mine and they look ok.

- - - Updated - - -

I sanded mine down and painted them semi-gloss black with Eastwood paint. They look fine.

I have used the chrome paint and as long as you follow prep directions there will be no problem with longevity. It isn't as reflective as chrome but more like polished aluminum. It's still cheaper than buying new or getting replated.

The YO's I bought degraded over ten years. I give up. Don't care.

Auto Transport Service
Back