• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing the starter to fix a leaky freeze plug …

Satellite383

Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, we’re trying to remove our starter so we can replace the freeze plug behind it. We got the 2 securing bolts off and now the thing won’t budge. Do we even need to remove the starter? I’ve heard how tough freeze plugs can be to get in/out so I figured having the extra space would be helpful. At this point, I’m not so sure :,)

Not sure if I mentioned this in my welcome post, but we are working on our car in the parking lot of our apartment complex (don’t tell our landlord LOL) so although we have a jack and 4 stands, we are limited with what we can do out right for the time being. Any advice/tips are much appreciated!!

Be sure you've got the starter bolts and not a starter bolt and bellhousing bolt...

Provided everything is unbolted you should be able to wiggle it roughly or gently thump it with a block of wood...

Be ready for it to fall the second it's free...

Should be one bolt and one nut.
Should I say because people mess that up frequently

Like Don said, it should be a bolt and a stud if it's still original. And that's a big if.

If you 're sure you have the correct fasteners off, then a few taps with a mallet should free it up, but really, if it is indeed two bolts and you have them both out, the damn thing should just about fall out.

Is that a bolt on top and a stud on the bottom?

Auto Transport Service
Back