• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing The Steering Gear

HEMI RR

Local time
8:38 AM
Reaction score
Hi, working on a 70 Roadrunner. About to remove the manual steering gear to switch to power steering. The service manual is not clear on removal. Does it come out rearward or can the battery box come out and remove forward? Does the torsion bar get removed like on a E-body? There is not a lot of room with the Hemi exhaust manifolds. Any insight is appreciated. I will be removing the column to swap the shafts first.

I just did this job on my 66 coronet hemi car. All I had to remove was the power steering pump that I had just installed. It snaked out through the front. If your going with a Chrysler box you will have to lift engine some to install, the borgeson box I installed slipped right in with no lifting of engine

Thanks, I thought so. I am using a Chrysler box from Steer and Gear. I was not aware of engine lifting but I have to do it. It sure beats removing manifolds and torsion bars. Got the column shaft done. Made the miller tool to remove the column housing took an hour to find parts and make it then 30 seconds to use it.

Last edited:
Unless you have headers, the gearbox should just come right out from underneath. Of course, you've got to pull the column back so it separates from the gearbox first.

I already have the column out to switch the manual steering shaft and coupler to power. The problem I see is the Hemi exhaust manifold is so large and in the way. As Dan wrote, he took his out the front. I may have to lift the engine to clear. I was looking from someone who did it on a Hemi 1970 Roadrunner to see how they did it.

I already have the column out to switch the manual steering shaft and coupler to power. The problem I see is the Hemi exhaust manifold is so large and in the way. As Dan wrote, he took his out the front. I may have to lift the engine to clear. I was looking from someone who did it on a Hemi 1970 Roadrunner to see how they did it.

The manual box is quite a bit smaller than the power gearbox. I'd just pull out the three bolts and see what happens. At the very worst, you may have to unbolt the motor mount and jack the engine up a bit.

I got it out easily through the front. The engine will have to be lifted up to install it. Like you stated Rich it is much bigger. That is enough for today. Do you guys think I can just undo the mount on one side and go easy or should I undo both sides before I start to jack it up? Dan how did you do it?

I got it in. This is a tight fit. Had to remove both motor mount bolts and jack it up to the max. Then when it would not go up any farther, a slight tap with a large dead blow the size of a small dog did the trick. That is enough for today. Thanks everyone.

Auto Transport Service
Back