• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repairing/Restoring 3 -Spoke Steering Wheel Horn Switch - With Pics!

idrivemopar

Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I wanted to share this with everyone that may have a 3 spoke steering wheel that has bad horn buttons. I believe this only applies to 71 to 74 Roadrunner/Satellite, but correct me if I am wrong. The switch I am doing here is for my 73 RR.

First, let me tell you a few things I have learned about this switch.
1. If you see a NOS one for sale, it most like has the foam degraded to such a condition, its useless, unless of course you want to go through this procedure to fix it. This is the case recently I found of one for sale on ebay that was way over priced for its condition, so I got to checking around, and managed to find one from a dealer and they sold it to me dirt cheap.
2. I will be showing the process here on the switch restoration out of the steering wheel, however, I believe you can make these repairs with it still installed in the steering wheel.
3. Removing or attempting to remove the switch assembly from the steering wheel will likely result in breaking off of the mounting pins, because the 40 year old plastic is brittle.
4. Each of the 3 switches uses 4 rubber contacts impregnated with a conductor, and when compressed they complete the circuit, and not compressed, no conducting occurs. You can see this under a magnifying glass.
5. The foam tape is used to hold the contacts in place and keep the two conductor plates in place.

Things you will need.
1. Foam tape that is 1/8" thick by 3/8" wide. I could not find double coated anywhere, so you can use another piece of basic double sided tape as shown below to make it a double sided application.
2. A leather punch to make the 3/16" holes in the foam tape for the contacts.
3. Some adhesive remover to clean the metal contact plates.

Here is the foam tape and the double sided tape I used, both available at Ace hardware.
DSC04766small.jpg

Here we go.

First, remove the old foam tape, as you can see, this one, even though its considered NOS, the foam is completely gone. You can also see the spaces for the rubber contacts.
DSC04757small.jpg

Here showing the rubber contacts.
DSC04761small.jpg

Once the old tape is removed, it should be cleaned with adhesive remover, and look something like this.
DSC04767small.jpg

Now, make the new replacement foam tape parts, here is a diagram of the dimensions, and photo of the new pieces.
Presentation1.jpg
Don't forget, unless you have double coated foam tape, you will need to add another piece of double side tape to the other side of the foam.
DSC04769small.jpg

Once those are made, make sure the bottom plate is secure in the plastic guide, and remove the protective paper and attach the foam tape to it, next, remove the top layer of protective paper, and insert the 4 rubber contacts.
Like so...
DSC04771small.jpg
DSC04772small.jpg
NOTE: The 1" distance from the edge of the tape to the first contact should go toward the rear or area where the wires connect to the contact plates.

Next secure the top contact plate to the tape. Like this.
DSC04779small.jpg
DSC04780small.jpg

Repeat for the other two sections.

End result is this
When there is no pressure on the contact plates, the light is off, or no beep-beep!
DSC04777small.jpg

When compressed, the light comes on.
DSC04778small.jpg

Now, without knowing the actual specifications of the foam tape used by Chrysler, I am not sure how this will handle the hot and cold cycles, but, its the only thing I have found that is close to what was originally there.

DSC04766small.jpg DSC04757small.jpg DSC04761small.jpg DSC04767small.jpg Presentation1.jpg DSC04769small.jpg DSC04771small.jpg DSC04772small.jpg DSC04779small.jpg DSC04780small.jpg DSC04777small.jpg DSC04778small.jpg

Nice writeup.

very nice work idrive
i have a mint black wheel put away in a box for a project
this is a good referance to save if i have any problems with it
and i probably will because age will most likely be the cause of its failure.

I want to share my suggestion: I just replaced the rubber (which are either NOS and old or reproduced not available) with micro push button (see pic only as example!) and connected them accordingly (so not via the blades). The rest of the above described solution remains the same.

40D1025F-1B1B-4F91-B56C-5D7581C16114.jpeg

Last edited:
4. Each of the 3 switches uses 4 rubber contacts impregnated with a conductor, and when compressed they complete the circuit, and not compressed, no conducting occurs. You can see this under a magnifying glass.

just like the TV remote controls I guess... which get as far I know a graphite layer for the contact

A for effort! Good little article to share!

Hello,

I just followed your steps and my horn button is working but just without the plastik buttons on top. These are rock solid and no "pushing" is possible. Don´t know how to fix that, guess there just old...damn I really was hoping to get my horn working finally.....

Auto Transport Service
Back