• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace 66 charger Tail light and C bezels, and mouldings

lambertw

Local time
10:41 AM
Reaction score
HI

How do you remove the C bezels and mouldings so that you can replace Tail Light? Is it hard? Please help?

That whole housing is unbolted from inside. and the housing comes out as one unit.. . then you have to remove all the screws.

That whole housing is unbolted from inside. and the housing comes out as one unit.. . then you have to remove all the screws.
Thank you Slimt, I really appreciate it. Gonna get started, and I will let you know how I make it. I wasn't quite sure, thought it had them crazy looking clips holding mouldings on...

Thank you 440 4 Speed! Working on it now. And as I was working my screw driver in my hand lightly smacked a white metal stud in the housing and it broke! Dammit! I was just rolling it over. Oh well, guess that white metal is 54 yrs old lol. I'm going to put it back in for now, and order a new housing later, and them puppies ain't cheap...

I assume you mean the housing. If you can JB weld it, and you might be able use it without that stud.
When I took mine apart, I cleaned the reflector side of the housing. Taped off the sockets, sprayed the the housing with high temperature chrome paint.
DO NOT over tighten the housing. If you need the whole taillight gasket set, Detroit Muscle Technologies supply a set.
I have housings, but shipping now days might be tricky. You could try [email protected] or Gary. [email protected]. Both are in Oklahoma. My email [email protected]. Good luck Ian

I assume you mean the housing. If you can JB weld it, and you might be able use it without that stud.
When I took mine apart, I cleaned the reflector side of the housing. Taped off the sockets, sprayed the the housing with high temperature chrome paint.
DO NOT over tighten the housing. If you need the whole taillight gasket set, Detroit Muscle Technologies supply a set.
I have housings, but shipping now days might be tricky. You could try [email protected] or Gary. [email protected]. Both are in Oklahoma. My email [email protected]. Good luck Ian
Hey 440 4 speed! One step ahead. J B Weld will probably work, clean break right below stud, just don't want it missing, put back in hole and just snug, know what I mean>

Hi 440 4 speed! Does the high temperature chrome paint work really well? My housing is old, but not bad looks like a dull silver actually. I guess you would get a nice light reflection if the housing was chrome

I used Rust-Oleum bright reflective metallic paint

20181017_1843551.jpg 20190526_213850.jpg

Yeah, you too! With this virus mess I got a lot of time on my hands to play with it. I have had this girl since 1975, I was 18 yrs old and she cost me $700.00. I still have just about all of the same problems I had with it back them, labor of love. Take care 440 4 speed, keep them hands washed, or some grease on em, talk to you tomorrow..

I took the nuts off and the thing wont budge. I'm not so quick to start banging or prying on the assembly because the entire car is brittle. The dealer supplement says something about sealer holding that thing on.

Last edited:
I took the nuts off and the thing wont budge. I'm not so quick to start banging or prying on the assembly because the entire car is brittle. The dealer supplement says something about sealer holding that thing on.
Hi Cambell!

I took a rubber mallet and tapped very lightly on one of the studs and came right out to wear I could take my hands and work it out. When you put it back, do not over tighten/I would snug the nuts as if they are old they are going to break. I was just hand tightening one of the studs and it broke. I am going to order the housing assembly in the future, but them puppies are expensive. Good luck

iIt's typical, The old seals stick the housing to the car
Also the studs bind in the car if you remove the tail light on any kind of an angle
You have to pry it out gently and evenly
I would not use a hammer as you run the risk of driving the stud through the housing. It really doesnt take much and replacements are not easy to find

I find that working from one side works. Sometimes one side has more give. I'll shake and push one side and then the other. Once one side gives a little and I work it from there. I did one a month ago, and when I got to the center, the whole housing popped out. Don't try to force it.

Auto Transport Service
Back