• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace bench seat with bucket seats

bobs63wagon

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
Well on May 1st I started a thread about replacing my front bench seat with buckets. The guys who do upholstery made my decision for me. First quote $1200, second one I never got a call back, and third was $950. So not wanting to use plastic I think I will use Procar. Seem nice plus affordable. Any issues with my 63 B body install? I am sure some of you went through the issues if any. Thanks.

A buddy ordered a set of those and was pleased with them for the price. They're not Corinthian Leather but sat pretty well.

Be aware the factory bucket seat cars had reinforcing plates added to the floor pan where the inside seat track mounted (closest to the tunnel). Lots of people switch to buckets without doing anything to the floor pan. You might get a little bit of flex.

I cut a set of the reinforcement plates out of a 65 Satellite last fall should you want to try and add something original looking. How effective they'll be probably depends on where the anchor points are on the new seats compared to original buckets.

SANY0006 (1).JPG

A buddy ordered a set of those and was pleased with them for the price. They're not Corinthian Leather but sat pretty well.

Be aware the factory bucket seat cars had reinforcing plates added to the floor pan where the inside seat track mounted (closest to the tunnel). Lots of people switch to buckets without doing anything to the floor pan. You might get a little bit of flex.

I cut a set of the reinforcement plates out of a 65 Satellite last fall should you want to try and add something original looking. How effective they'll be probably depends on where the anchor points are on the new seats compared to original buckets.

View attachment 770849
My thought would be to design something like that to avoid flexing.Thanks for the pics.

Or you can buy these for $25.00 shipped.....

Correct. About 30 minutes SE of the metro area.

15-20 minutes depending on which way you go. You're in Hastings?

View attachment 770849
Yep, these are the same pieces I had latched onto and welded in my '63 when installing the bucket seats.

15-20 minutes depending on which way you go. You're in Hastings?
Yes. So we are not very far apart. I thought if I put the reinforcing plates in then make brackets to mount the seats to the plates so nice and strong. I don't think Procar has a bracket for the old B bodies. Just the sliders.

Did you put in Mopar seats or aftermarket?
I found stock seats. Attached some pic's. I ended up getting headrests installed on the buckets despite these being seats before rests came out as it was less of a hassle as it worked out finding nice late 60's rests on eBay for cheap. Had a neck fusion so needed the head protection in case. You see the seat brackets like posted above as installed on a few of the photos..

20170701_161930.jpg 20170701_080621.jpg 20170709_161913.jpg 20170618_064127.jpg

Or you can buy these for $25.00 shipped.....
After thinking over the situation I will take those brackets. If you want to send them that's okay. I could pick them up at your place or if not comfortable with that meet you somewhere. Let me know what you prefer.

That's a real nice deal on those brackets; I was glad I found them when getting the buckets when I did the install some 15 years ago but danged if I can remember how I globbed onto them. When I installed a modified console recently I remembered there's a slight offset since the driveshaft tunnel isn't in the center of the interior so there's a bit more gap between the tunnel on the left vs the right seat. As I recall the front brackets kinda takes a 'set' where they're supposed to be with the curvature. In any case the left seat does align straight on with the steering wheel and the gap between the seats and the doors are pretty even, well simply the outer holes for the bench were used for setting the location of the brackets. The stock buckets are wide so if thinking of new seats as I found considering new ones, many are narrower, some considerably so. I might imagine some extra checking for how they'd be set would be desired. Not sure; guys that have done this would know..

That's a real nice deal on those brackets; I was glad I found them when getting the buckets when I did the install some 15 years ago but danged if I can remember how I globbed onto them. When I installed a modified console recently I remembered there's a slight offset since the driveshaft tunnel isn't in the center of the interior so there's a bit more gap between the tunnel on the left vs the right seat. As I recall the front brackets kinda takes a 'set' where they're supposed to be with the curvature. In any case the left seat does align straight on with the steering wheel and the gap between the seats and the doors are pretty even, well simply the outer holes for the bench were used for setting the location of the brackets. The stock buckets are wide so if thinking of new seats as I found considering new ones, many are narrower, some considerably so. I might imagine some extra checking for how they'd be set would be desired. Not sure; guys that have done this would know..
Procar has a wider seat on some models. Just need to check measurements. Even with the universal mounting bracket I am sure that some sort of work needs to be done to get them into the stock location holes. Thanks.

FYI Bob stopped by my place on Monday to get the brackets. We had a very nice visit. Best wishes getting your wagon back in action Bob!

My car only had the reinforcements for a bench. Someone had put buckets in and the floor cracked over time. You need to have some structure/reinforcements there so the seat is supported and does not pull out/fall out at an inopportune time. I will be making a structure that gets welded to the frame connectors on mine when I get back on it.

Auto Transport Service
Back