• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace old TKO 5 need advice

Dennis H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
Silver Sport, American Powertrain etc. Lots of choices. Currently have an early Keisler TKO 5.
Pleased with the gearing for cruising with the 3:54 Dana. Not pleased with higher rpm 2-3 shifts or unfixable rear boot leaks. Balks when shifting 2-3 and trans has been wet since day one. Speedo cable, front and rear all leak. This before Keisler went bankrupt. Purchase around 2005 IIRC. Looking for a true bolt in, using current Keisler aluminum bell housing and Hurst linkage. Where and who to buy from? Shopping stage, not urgent. Looks like up to about a $3500 purchase.

If you can find an LGT-700 trans, I’d buy it.

Hey Dennis, the TKO in the Chevelle is allways a hit and miss on the 2-3 shift. My buddys Gasser has not had a problem with his and loves it. We get ours from AMP Performance in Phoenix IIRC. That being said you can get it fixed and upgraded from Paul Cangialosi @ 5speeds .com Also look at the 6 speed Transzilla from Rockland Standard Gear. As 5.7 said the LGT 700 if you can find one, dont think they are in production any longer??

I’ve made some inquiries to the LGT-700 and have not got any reply’s back. There is a guy in NC that is supposedly doing those tranny’s, but with the Hurricane they recently had, I can sympathize as to why no call back.

https://shiftsst.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQj...3LvDhG4dnPt9FbuVCoyxYXpE4Ek7bNHsaAp-IEALw_wcB

This is who I'm currently looking at to purchasing from once I'm ready. I believe they took over eventually when Keisler went belly up with better customer service and parts fitment / availability. This I cannot confirm either way yet...
Yes, Silver Sport bought out Keisler back then.
Darn helpful bunch over there. Been thinking about a road trip to see them one day. I'd love a better tranny setup in the GTX.

I am getting a quote from SST. On a repair of the current, I was told in the past by Keisler that it is too “early” of a version for the fix that came later.

I LOVE my Passon Performance a855 5 speed! Great on a cruise, great at the race track.
A little gear noise in the lower gears, but I assume that is due to how the gears are cut (M-22 Rock Crusher Muncies were noisy too, but STRONG) so they can hold up to at least 700 continuous ft pounds of TORQUE!

57F7B8FD-AEA1-4802-90F3-D195E638C5CD.jpeg
I’d love to have a Passon. $5795, and none in stock. Got a quote from Silver Sport.

I wonder if the input shaft spline and diameter is compatible with your existing clutch?

Getting close to pulling the trigger on the Silver Sport. Already in the $$$$ shithouse here at home. Might as well do it on the heels of the efi. Any other input?

Getting close to pulling the trigger on the Silver Sport. Already in the $$$$ shithouse here at home. Might as well do it on the heels of the efi. Any other input?
Should work perfect for you, expect some tunnel mods.

Should work perfect for you, expect some tunnel mods.
Made some minor mods putting the first TKO in. About a 4x4” sheet metal cut. Plus a little dimple do ya. Hoping for an easy install.

I've talked to both Silver Sport and American Power Train about the Dart's Tremec. Both were helpful but I have to give the edge to SST, their tech guy spent a lot of time helping me sort out the hydraulic clutch. Speaking of, the hydraulic clutch is a nice setup.

I've heard mixed reviews on American powertrain? Also check with Summit, they carry a few vendors that offer the 5 speed packages. I'd definitely ask about the shift mods, surely someone offers that as an additional option?

I know you don't want to do more chopping or buy another bellhousing but having had a TKO600 then a T56 there's no comparison when it comes to shifting:p. Honestly though if you can get the shift issue resolved the TKO is perfect for these old cars.

Going with the .64 5th vs .82 current. Car walks off 900 rpm so cruise ahould be lower rpm freeway. Capacity for Tremec is 2.7 quarts which had previously been a mystery. Recommended synthetic blend fluid, and first 500 break in oil.

1A302E36-F683-42C1-AE26-96EBEDD2BB80.jpeg
Tremec just started selling their own transmission fluid. Thay had recommended Dex3, but no more. Referring to Amsoil as Boutique. $19 a quart for the Tremec fluid. FYI.

Auto Transport Service
Back