• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement coil for 426

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
Finishing up re-wiring my 66 Satellite and going from electronic distributor/MSD box back to factory dual point (not an MSD fan). My coil is non-descript - had a few signs of being at least part red and painted black. But no identifying marks or labels other than #1104 stamped in the bottom which I haven’t been able to match up with anything including MSD coil part numbers which seem to start with an 8. Maybe an old Mallory. Probably very old. I’ll probably run it for awhile but would like to have a good quality backup in my parts drawer. Can anyone recommend what passes for a quality coil these days for a standard ignition system? SMP? NGK? MP?

I llike the petronix coils, and any ollder pre 80 NORS ellectroniuc cois are usually pretty good also. Just make sure if it is mounted horizontally it is epoxy filled not oil filled, it will fail/leak eventually.

Most coils have different ohm values, lots of peope get them mis-matched and wonder what is wrong, cant be the coil it is brand new! Same with the ballast resistors have to be matched to the set up for best output aso.

Good info - thanks.

So need around a 1.5 ohm resister for a 1.5 ohm coil? Probably need to look at that too and check out my current resister.

See what MSD recomends with thier system.

Wait re readthat have a distributor number I can ook it up for you, also the year motor.carb/trans

I don’t have the distributor in hand at the moment. It’s over at a friends garage. It’s a prestolite 67 Hemi CAP dual point distributor I went through a couple of years ago and put an FBO advance limiter plate in, new bushings, vacuum can, etc. Basically a 67 Hemi motor with 66 carbs, unknown cam - nothing wild. 4-speed.

I need it to figure out the factory recomendations. Prob a .6 ohm balllast and a 1.5 ohm coil, just a guess.

Your FSM shoulld have it in section 8

Your FSM shoulld have it in section 8

In 66 the Hemi wasn’t in the FSM but there was a later supplement for the Hemi that I have. I’ll look in it.

And I do have the 67 FSM I can check.

67 FSM says 1.6 - 1.8 ohm for the coil (2444242) and a .5 - .6 ohm resister. Looks like the CAP distributor used a slightly lower ohm coil (1.5).

Auto Transport Service
Back