• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

REPLACEMENT ENGINE

Hotrod 37

Local time
12:37 PM
Reaction score
My 68 charger is now ready for an engine was a 440 which is on the floor
the 727 is fully rebuilt with upgraded internals.
Car is fully restored with smoothed enginebay and painted so dont want to modify bulkhead or tunnel
Looking for around 450-500hp Will want to get a ready to go FI motor setup to drop in
What are my options and who do i use
appreciate any advice

1E7896A9-E0C7-46D7-A44E-316124F9DEBF.jpeg

Interesting looking restoration....is this a caged race car now?

I don't want to be 'that guy' ....but it looks like your panelbeater messed up the location of the fuel cap. :)

Going for an EFI unit....you might need to check out some threads here - @andyf is a good source of pictures and information for custom work.

If you want 450-500hp you'll need aluminum heads (or dump allot of money in your existing heads). Give Hughes Engines a call (sponsor for this site). He'll sell you what you need for whatever hp you are looking for.

http://www.hughesengines.com

I have made quite a few body mods so not a concours car just done it how I wanted it to be
Not a caged car interior and new glass not fitted yet
Will put up a post on my mods to car soon will look at Hugh’s

IMO,
This one is a no brainer... cheap, reliable and easy to do in just a .030" over "440".... with anywhere between 450-550 HP with 510-565 Ft/Lbs on pump gas.

We used to machine/build LOTS of them...
go read over here for some "lowly 440" recipes with the Dyno Sheets posted..... and NO, all we used for these were off the shelf 'el cheapo Comp Cams Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cams(No 'magic' top secret 007 Cam garbage )

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106687.0.html

and although I haven't posted any Dyno Sheets.... any of those combo's are more than compatible for Sniper EFI installations.... the ones we've done posting very similar power outputs on the Engine Dyno, but with the enhanced running/driving characteristics of EFI

I usually have it on toast spread quite thickly with a cup of tea☕

Last edited:
Don't worry....the Marmite Kid will understand the lingo. :lol:

Do I need to explain Marmite also?
Thick, black and distasteful to most Americans. :D

MARMITE........YUCK... plus double YUCK .....VERY MUCH AKIN TO SPREADING NLG #2 WHEEL BEARING GREASE ON YOUR TOAST OR CRUMPETS OR SCONES....sort of looks like, smells like and tastes as bad as it looks. Perhaps its an aquired taste. When I spent 6 weeks in Zambia Africa, installing a start up pre-heater in a sulfuric acid plant, many of the other people, familiar with MARMITE, troweled on their morning toast with great gusto, relishing their concoction's taste (?). But.....to each their own..... Just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

Is that anything like vegimite???

Marmite....Marmite has a very distinctive flavor. The taste is so unique as to defy description, but think of a yeasty, salty, soy sauce-esque flavor with the consistency of old engine oil. Some people really like eating it, and some people don't like eating it at all.
Vegimite....Vegemite is more intensely gobsmacking than Marmite, which has a milder flavour and even a slight sweetness compared to its meatier Aussie cousin.
It’s great spread on toast, crumpets, bagels and crackers among other things. But it’s also a lovely way of adding a depth of flavour to cooking. Add a spoonful to any stew, and even a Bolognese pasta sauce. Oh, and Marmite Carbonara is dreamy. Simply whisk a spoonful into your egg before you add it to the pasta......
Marmite......something like the expression: "beauty is the eye of the beholder" or "you either love it or hate it" or "take it or leave it".....i'll just leave it....thank you.... Just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

So which is it????? Both, neither??? Are you saying vegemite is good?

As I mentioned, eat at your own risk.....to those aficionado's who like it (maybe 6 or 7 people in the world) great...personally, I tried it and thought it was horrible....but....try both products (likely available thru Amazon) and decide for yourself.....you may like it....but probably not....they are reputed to fix all kinds of maladies....from dandruff to ingrown toe nails and everything in between....... just additional points to ponder.....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back