• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement Parts "Rant"

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:42 PM
Reaction score
I know most of our cars are 50 plus years old and you're really lucky to find any replacement parts for them, but if they're going to be companies out there that do refurbish, rebuild, remanufacture such parts, at least do your homework.

I've been back and forth to the parts store for these brake shoes. First it was with the rear ones. Took two sets to make one. Defects ect.

Now with the front ones. They relined rear cores for the front shoes, WTF! The hole for the top spring isn't going to work, especially with the "revised" slotted hole, another old rant from back when they changed the e-brake leaver to a flat bar instead of the origanal pin type. (I had to deal with that on the rears). So I guess I'm ordering yet another set to see if I can get lucky on the right shoes.

On the plus side, the parts store is very helpful when it comes to these exchanges and hunting down a lot of parts that are hard to find. Rant over for now!
Screenshot_2017-08-29-21-38-43.jpg

If you can't make it right, why make it at all!!!!! Totally agree.

I know most of our cars are 50 plus years old and you're really lucky to find any replacement parts for them, but if they're going to be companies out there that do refurbish, rebuild, remanufacture such parts, at least do your homework.

I've been back and forth to the parts store for these brake shoes. First it was with the rear ones. Took two sets to make one. Defects ect.

Now with the front ones. They relined rear cores for the front shoes, WTF! The hole for the top spring isn't going to work, especially with the "revised" slotted hole, another old rant from back when they changed the e-brake leaver to a flat bar instead of the origanal pin type. (I had to deal with that on the rears). So I guess I'm ordering yet another set to see if I can get lucky on the right shoes.

On the plus side, the parts store is very helpful when it comes to these exchanges and hunting down a lot of parts that are hard to find. Rant over for now!
View attachment 507748
KK, maybe since there's so much effort & frustration it would be worthy to consider converting to Wilwood's? 6 pots in front & 4 pots in rear. It's gonna stop better.

What surprises me is that so many parts come with a lifetime warranty. That is good because you will surely NEED it.

What surprises me is that so many parts come with a lifetime warranty. That is good because you will surely NEED it.
They count on few taking advantage of that warranty. Lose your receipt or forget about the terms. Have to go thru the mfg. I don't put much stock in those myself......

View attachment 507748
The slotted hole isn't the spring hole. It's the E-brake arm location. It will work with either the slotted late model style arm or the early pin and clip style The later style shoes use a longer spring. I do feel your pain as many parts aren't close. In this case they are using later model cores which will work (when the pad material is properly attached). Last week when replacing rear disc pads on a Chevy van the one pad was 3/16" too thick. Wouldn't even fit between the piston and rotor.
Doug

They count on few taking advantage of that warranty. Lose your receipt or forget about the terms. Have to go thru the mfg. I don't put much stock in those myself......
I guess it depends on where you buy your parts. I used to have boxes of receipts, but now I don't keep any as all the places I buy parts have that information in their systems. They know what I bought, when I bought it, what the warranty is, etc.

As for parts in general, we have to accept that yes... our cars are 50 or so years old, and there's not much demand for parts for them so we can't expect suppliers to invest a whole lot of time and treasure into making sure everything is 100% correct in regards to them. I've found quite a few part numbers and substitutions in systems to be incorrect in the databases these parts vendors all use, and I don't expect them to change so that is one thing I do keep a record of.

Look up Brakes in a box. They specialize in drum brakes for old cars. Give them a call and ask.
Yes, I'm with you as far as part store parts "STINK". And the prices are nuts too. I just bought a replacement 3 wire neutral safety switch "PLUG" at Car Quest wanting to buy local.And yes I had to say "NO it's not the switch I need the plug" about 20 times before they even knew what I was talking about.$29.00 ! Rock Auto wanted $12.95 and $8 to ship. Even at that $21 is steep for a China made plug that is sure to fail in a year or so.....Rant over .

KK, maybe since there's so much effort & frustration it would be worthy to consider converting to Wilwood's? 6 pots in front & 4 pots in rear. It's gonna stop better.
I ain't working on no Beemer here Jimi :lol:

Use a card to pay for things with a warranty, even a bank card. If you lose your receipt they can pull up the transaction. I've done it many times at various places.

The slotted hole isn't the spring hole. It's the E-brake arm location. It will work with either the slotted late model style arm or the early pin and clip style The later style shoes use a longer spring. I do feel your pain as many parts aren't close. In this case they are using later model cores which will work (when the pad material is properly attached). Last week when replacing rear disc pads on a Chevy van the one pad was 3/16" too thick. Wouldn't even fit between the piston and rotor.
Doug

I remember dealing with that slotted hole years ago. They have the slightest "half moon" in the slot so you can use the pin style e-brake leaver. Make sure you use a thin washer or even the tension washer, on the back side, to stiffen up the play. I've seen that pin slide inside of the slot before.

I guess it depends on where you buy your parts. I used to have boxes of receipts, but now I don't keep any as all the places I buy parts have that information in their systems. They know what I bought, when I bought it, what the warranty is, etc.

As for parts in general, we have to accept that yes... our cars are 50 or so years old, and there's not much demand for parts for them so we can't expect suppliers to invest a whole lot of time and treasure into making sure everything is 100% correct in regards to them. I've found quite a few part numbers and substitutions in systems to be incorrect in the databases these parts vendors all use, and I don't expect them to change so that is one thing I do keep a record of.

I've been keeping records too. There is a lot of '70s parts that hadn't change through the years that do work just fine. The '70s parts are easier to lookup and locate.

Here is a brand new Holley black pump with 4 seconds of actual use pissing from a pinched gasket. It was not cheap. Made in USA...
20170830_170421.jpg

And it was replacing a $145 Edelbrock high flow mechanical that dropped to zero pressure when the secondaries opened.

Another I remember is an $80 Mancini accelerator cable that was made wrong and would not open the carb wot until I modified it.

When I see the words Happy Ending, I get other thoughts.

Oh hell, I forgot about mine!!!! One new rear drum from Raybestos (marked made in china) had that same unfinished edge on the inside= rubbing when btakes are applied. I had to grind down the edge 360 degrees.

These look like they're cracked. Maybe they didn't knit during the process? I thought they were one piece but apparently not.

These look like they're cracked. Maybe they didn't knit during the process? I thought they were one piece but apparently not.
They should be one piece. You can see where the shoe was rubbing on the unfinished lip.
downloadfile-5.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back