• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement positive Battery cable end

musekmkr

Local time
12:17 AM
Reaction score
What does everyone use to repair battery cable ends? The previous owner installed one of those cheapo universal ends and I'd like to replace it with something close to factory. Were the factory cables crimped or soldered? I found this end on Mancini, which I thought was an end you solder but, based on another site that seems to sell the same end, the cable appears to be locked in with set screws on the underside of the cable.

Has anyone ever used this style end?
http://www.manciniracing.com/pobarehe.html

Or the Quick compression or solder type ends?
https://images.app.goo.gl/RiV78icUx4uAyGPL7

I like the copper lug style I put it in the vase and heat it up melt solder in it.
then plop the cable in . and then crush the end with a hammer if you want it solid.

Those screw in ends from Mancini are junk. If you get one plan on using the screw hole to drop solder into. Mine stripped out but I was able to salvage it and soldered it.
7479857F-609E-4E6A-BFEA-CD8024F22F4C.jpeg

Yeah... Once I realized the cables were secured by set screws, I was a bit disappointed. Glad I figured that out before I ordered one. I may just get the compression or solder in type and just go with something that will be the most secure and reliable.

I'm not a fan of those molded cable ends/terminals, I prefer the basic replacement ones you get at the parts store. I paid good money for a new positive cable on my coronet only to have it fail in a few months. Took me a bit to figure out why the engine wouldn't turn over, finally cut the terminal off and found it full of corrosion.... on a car that is garage kept. Yeah they look clean and factory, just not for me i guess.

While we are on this subject, what is everybodies opinion about the 2 different positive big block battery cables that are available? One is listed as drivers quality for $40, and the "correct" looking ones for $135. Any quality difference as far as components, and where is the best place to buy the best cable? Asking because I need a new one for my 69 RR.

Last edited:
If I had to use a replacement end, and not an entire new cable, I would use the solder on style.
Only issue with solder on type is the copper cable wires need to be clean. So the solder type work well when making cables using new/clean wire.
As a replacement, if the cable is oxidized the solder (or crimp) won't make a great connection.
Normally, I would not bother replacing the connector end on an old battery cable. If you need to go that route, use plenty of flux on the wire to clean it up before trying to solder it, and then tin (solder) the wire end, clean up all the old flux, then solder the battery clamp terminal on.

I bought one of the reproductions and it Burned up the battery end the first time I used it. I was using a mini starter, and didn’t notice when I bought it, but it said not for use with mini starters. WTF, I wouldn’t expect a battery cable to do that!

After that experience, I’m going to make my own with quality oversized cable, 2 or 1/0. And use quality soldered battery terminals and crimp the end at the starter/engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back