• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement VIN tag for a 1966 Coronet

superbird6bbl

Local time
6:51 PM
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the correct area but I have a 1966 Coronet 440 that I purchased 10 years ago and I have the Title but the seller couldn't remember what happened to the VIN tag for the driver's door. I have just been racing the car so I didn't try to get the Title transferred to my name. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement made since I have the Title and the original Sheetmetal is still on the car?

FL DMV only asks for a VIN inspection for out of state cars coming in.

I don't know if this is the correct area but I have a 1966 Coronet 440 that I purchased 10 years ago and I have the Title but the seller couldn't remember what happened to the VIN tag for the driver's door. I have just been racing the car so I didn't try to get the Title transferred to my name. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement made since I have the Title and the original Sheetmetal is still on the car?
Yes, search ebay. It's really not a big deal. There are places even include the rivets.

No rivets in 66.

The big question is how to adhere a replacement, provided you can get one.

No rivets in 66.

The big question is how to adhere a replacement, provided you can get one.
Rivets in 66.
ID numbers 068.JPG

Definitely rivets in the 1966MY.

Hmmm

Now I need to go to the garage.

There was a guy on here that had a handful of rivets from the factory. I couldn't find the for sale thread on it.

My 65 Dodge weld on VIN tag posted 66 riveted VIN tag earlier.

Just a note about those rivets. They are rosette rivets and I’ve seen them for sale on eBay with no idea how that is possible. I’m a police officer in Michigan and here it is a felony to possess rosette rivets like that….

Just a note about those rivets. They are rosette rivets and I’ve seen them for sale on eBay with no idea how that is possible. I’m a police officer in Michigan and here it is a felony to possess rosette rivets like that….
What is the ordinance for that? I'd like to read it.

Michigan Legislature - Section 750.415

Section 5 specifically talks about rosette rivets. The idea is they are only intended to be used by the factory. A regular rivet should be used when a tag is replaced for any reason
It's pretty specific. I suppose that is vecause so many factory workers have acess to them? But it seems the spirit of that law is to prevent defrauding a buyer or converting a stolen car. I get it.

I have to believe you are correct on all counts. Likely used as a way to deter fraud in the factory and the large vehicle theft operations that still exist around here. I have no idea if any other states have a similar law on the books

I'll add here,

the rivets used on 66-67 are different ( larger and stainless ) than the ones used on 68 and later which are smaller and black e coated

Auto Transport Service
Back