• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing a Speedometer cable

Ben Simpkins

Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
I am replacing the speedometer cable in my 66 Satellite with a 727 torque flight, and as I was pulling the cable out of the transmission I found that it had twisted up on itself. Has this happened to anybody else?(pics for reference) I have not disconnected the cable from the speedometer and my other question is, in order to take my gauge cluster out will I have to disconnect my a/c cables beforehand. Also, is there anything I should be mindful of when doing this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
20201209_153043.jpg
20201209_144448.jpg

When they fail, that's how they fail. At least in my experience. I've never had one explode the outer sheath quite that dramatically but there's plenty of torque going in. When you have the new one just reach behind the dash and unscrew the old one from the speedo and pull it out. No magic, don't unhook anything. Run the new one in via the same path and screw it in. Later ones had a clip like an electronics connector but I think 66 still screwed on.

When they fail, that's how they fail. At least in my experience. I've never had one explode the outer sheath quite that dramatically but there's plenty of torque going in. When you have the new one just reach behind the dash and unscrew the old one from the speedo and pull it out. No magic, don't unhook anything. Run the new one in via the same path and screw it in. Later ones had a clip like an electronics connector but I think 66 still screwed on.
Thanks for the help, I managed to get the old out!

Auto Transport Service
Back