Replacing exhaust on lean burn

1975 - 1979 Mopars

1. d9103365

d9103365 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:01 AM
    I have a 77 'doba 400 that is completely stock with lean burn, single exhaust with catalytic converter. I want to go ahead and cut off the cat, and put a dual flowmaster exhaust on it. I want to make sure that this will not cause any problems with the lean burn system. I got the damn thing running pretty decent and want to keep it that way for a while. I'm worried that removing the catalytic converter or changing the exhaust will trip some kind of sensor. I don't think the lean burn system was anywhere near that sophisticated...but I want to make sure before I do anything.

I don't have to worry about emissions where I'm located. 25+ yr old cars are exempt.

2. Magnumguy

Magnumguy Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    4:01 AM
    Removing the CC won't hurt it at all, may even help. The Leanburn was way ahead of it's time in it's time, but archaic now. To my knowledge, there wasn't any exhaust monitoring.

Duals will do nothing but help it's performance.

I've had multiple Magnums, some have benefited from removing the LB, some have performed about the same.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.