• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing exhaust on lean burn

d9103365

Local time
6:26 AM
Reaction score
I have a 77 'doba 400 that is completely stock with lean burn, single exhaust with catalytic converter. I want to go ahead and cut off the cat, and put a dual flowmaster exhaust on it. I want to make sure that this will not cause any problems with the lean burn system. I got the damn thing running pretty decent and want to keep it that way for a while. I'm worried that removing the catalytic converter or changing the exhaust will trip some kind of sensor. I don't think the lean burn system was anywhere near that sophisticated...but I want to make sure before I do anything.

I don't have to worry about emissions where I'm located. 25+ yr old cars are exempt.

Removing the CC won't hurt it at all, may even help. The Leanburn was way ahead of it's time in it's time, but archaic now. To my knowledge, there wasn't any exhaust monitoring.

Duals will do nothing but help it's performance.

I've had multiple Magnums, some have benefited from removing the LB, some have performed about the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back