• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing springs with foam

peakandscoot

Local time
4:56 AM
Reaction score
Its a long story but when i was 16 in 1983 i had the seats on my dads 62 Fury reupholstered. They sat bagged up in my grandmas basement for over 35 years. The material is still like brand new. The car is now mine and did a full rotisserie restoration. This week i was relocating my battery to the trunk and was
20210619_195744.jpg
dry fitting the seat to make sure the wires were good. This car is a restomod going back to 65 when my dad replaced the 318 with a 383. The issue is when i sit in these seats the springs sink to the floor. I was thinking i could replace the springs with foam and keep everything else as it is. this however is not my area of expertise. Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

You'll need to redesign the seat frame to support the foam. It needs a solid bottom, either metal or wood.

Looks like you have done a good job on the resto, have you posted other pictures previously? If not, I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in your project.

Couldn't you add some foam underneath the existing springs for extra support?

Couldn't you add some foam underneath the existing springs for extra support?
that is what i was wondering. I could run strips between the rows of springs and even slide spacers in the springs like they do on suspension springs

Something doesn’t sound right with the seats. - they shouldn’t be that soft. Was the burlap with the listing wires removed? Possibly the foam did not get re-secured to the front and rear of the frame when the new covers were put on. I think I would take it to an upholster and see what he thinks.

I kept my springs (back seat) but added a 2" layer of memory foam on top before putting on the upholstery. Nice and supportive.

I don't think rear seats have much support in them anyway and what you experienced is normal. How often are you going to have people in the back seats ??
A few weeks ago I was working on the rear seats of my 69 RR. The car is mini-tubbed so I had to move a couple of the lower braces. There definitely isn't much support in those either. If you're worried about someone's *** hitting the floor, you could just stuff foam under the seats before you snap them into place - no need to take the seats all apart.

They appear to be done correctly they are just not as comfortable as i think i would like them
20210625_205834.jpg

Do a detailed inspection and see if any welds are broken on that frame, it's not unusual.

I don’t see anything obvious right now - looks pretty much like mine which I’ve just had out.

Just a funny observation. You bought these covers in "83 when you were 16. It seems to me the kids in the family must have beat the hell out the back seat and NOW you're wondering why the springs are shot. LOL

My dad bought the car new but left it in the in 67 when i was born. So in 83 my uncle controlled the car and i was partly involved then he left it 3 feet off the ground in a 1000 pieces. 5 years ago when they sold my grandmas house it was offered to me. It probably save the car. it had surface rust from where he started blasting but never finished and didnt seal. The seats and material must have been in the right conditions in the basement because they look exactly as they were left back then. This picture is how i found it but
2015_0727ni0033.JPG
Im just now getting to the point where the car is almost done. Vintage air, 4 wheel power brakes, Borgeson power steering, Holley super spark and Sniper EFI. 20160908_184941.jpg

It's amazing that the car has stayed in the family since it was new. Not many can claim that feat. Congratulations on your near completion and it's almost time for you to enjoy all the work that you have done.

I don't think rear seats have much support in them anyway and what you experienced is normal. How often are you going to have people in the back seats ??
A few weeks ago I was working on the rear seats of my 69 RR. The car is mini-tubbed so I had to move a couple of the lower braces. There definitely isn't much support in those either. If you're worried about someone's *** hitting the floor, you could just stuff foam under the seats before you snap them into place - no need to take the seats all apart.
Hey my car is also mini tubbed, it's a 70roadrunner. I have 20 plus years of residential upholstery. I have my front seat covered and have been waiting on the rear since I don't really know the best way to make it fit. Can you explain what you did to yours? Thanks Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back