• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing the Fruit Trees

Dibbons

Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
There seems to be some disagreement at home whether I watered the fruit trees too little or too much. Well, today I tore out 3 of 'em (they no longer produced fruit) and went over to the local nursery. The worker showed me his mango, black sapota, and guava stock.

The reason for this post is the nursery worker showed me some plant leaves were turning brown on the edges of some of his own plants. I was surprised when he said the wind was causing the brown leaves! That's the first I ever heard of that problem, but it makes sense (been a little windy around here, and with a desert climate probably doesn't help any). Just in case any forum members were ignorant of this fact (like me) I thought I had better spread the word.

Before removing anymore, you can get moisture meters for soil for under $20 on Amazon and other places.

When we bought this place there were over twenty fruit trees of assorted types.... Every one of them came ripe at the same time... We had buckets, pails, boxes & bags of fruit... Couldn't give it away fast enough so we also had flies & ants & rats & birds all feasting in our yard.... We currently have exactly zero fruit trees & I like it that way... If I want fruit I'll go get some fruit...

My trees ripen at different times. Cherries are usually first at the end of June, then plums, apples and in September the pears ripen. Smaller bushes of raspberries, strawberries and blueberries seem to yield fruit for quite a few weeks, one of the last to be picked are the Concorde grapes. Most of it all gets consumed, or put in the freezer. Last summer a lot of pears got juiced and turned into cider - just now ready to drink. Plum wine is still aging. Lots of extra apples and pears are carted off by my wife when she goes to the stables to ride horses with a friend.

I usually try to plant one or two more each year, I'm thinking of another cherry and peach this spring.

Auto Transport Service
Back