• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repop tail light bezel, '69 GTX

Dale Lucy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the repop tail light bezels for '69 GTX? $950.00 a pair at Classic Industries.

Dale
SW MI

Buddy of mine used them on his car.

As far as I know he has no complaints

Not the best picture.

Ps..there is an nos right side on ebay right now

img_1_1679971231030.jpg

Last edited:
See if these guys Krusin Moons have originals restored... They deal in a lot of 68-69 pieces..

main

See if these guys Krusin Moons have originals restored... They deal in a lot of 68-69 pieces..

main
One of the original partners was the previous owner of my '69 GTX and restored it with their stuff. Best out there if you can afford it. I had reproductions on my last '69, which were pretty good, but the fit wasn't quite as good as OEM. Photo is the reproduction piece. The OEM pieces on the current car have been in place for over 20 years, and show no signs of deterioration.
69 til light.jpg

Last edited:
How much would it be to have them re-chromed?

One of the original partners was the previous owner of my '69 GTX and restored it with their stuff. Best out there if you can afford it. I had reproductions on my last '69, which were pretty good, but the fit wasn't quite as good as OEM. Photo is the reproduction piece. The OEM pieces on the current car have been in place for over 20 years, and show no signs of deterioration.
View attachment 1440946

I see on ebay that there is a re-pop bezel for sale that has some warpage, I wonder if that is just the risk you would take in buying them?

Dale

Can speak to the GTX, but I bought a pair of the re-pops from Classic Industries for my 69 Dart when I built it and they held up fine for the six years I had them on the car. I agree with the statement above that having an original set reconditioned or rechromed could prove to be more costly than just buying the re-pops, and no one would even know you don't have originals on the car.

So, an update. I ordered a pair of bezels from PGClassics a couple of weeks ago when they had a 20% off coupon, and got them a few days ago. On initial inspection, they look great, a few oohs and awws (so shiny). Its when you look closer that it becomes apparent that the molds are not that great. The edges on my factory ones are quite thick, the edges on the re-pops are thick, thin, and super thin, depending where you look. When I tried to install them, there was a significant gap between the bezel and the quarter panel extension on the 'trunk side' of the extension (both bezels had the same gap), the gap was about 3/16th of an inch, and I did not see any way to close it up.
In addition, neither tail light lens would fully seat into the bezel. So, they are going back for a refund. I thought about and exchange, but I assume that they will all be the same.

Dale
SW MI

What is your plan at this point?
I have a pretty nice RH bezel that I'm going to put on the car, I'll keep the original LH one (its a 6ft quality bezel), on until I find a nice replacement,

I have a pretty nice RH bezel that I'm going to put on the car, I'll keep the original LH one (its a 6ft quality bezel), on until I find a nice replacement,
Did you try the place I suggested in post #3?

I have the originals that came off my car with 6000 miles on them. Might be an improvement, or not. If you will be at carlisle, you can see them, and decide if you want them. Pictures probably won’t show the flaws, a few small pits on inner sections.

This is what I have now:

Factory bezel that is on the car now: you can see pits on all 3 'layers' of chrome.
GTX old2.jpg

The more better replacement, it has a couple of pits on the second layer, and several on the third

GTX new.jpg

Dale

I have the originals that came off my car with 6000 miles on them. Might be an improvement, or not. If you will be at carlisle, you can see them, and decide if you want them. Pictures probably won’t show the flaws, a few small pits on inner sections.
I do plan on being at Carlisle, never been there before.
I'll be looking for a trunk finish panel as well, as mine is way pitted

Dale, looking forward to seeing you there. I will bring the bezels. I just inspected them, and I would say the condition is comparable to your "nicer" right side piece. It is amazing how fast these things deteriorate when on a driven car. There was a '69 Sport Satellite in the survivor tent at Carlisle for many years. It had 7000 original miles, and condition was pretty close to what is on your car. I had NOS on Baby Blue, my '68, sold the car in 1991, and when it came back 22 years later, with 7000 additional miles, pits had appeared. I've always cleaned this stuff after every drive with the cars I've owned.

Adam

Auto Transport Service
Back