• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Report: 90% Of Dads Running Errands Are Just Doing It To Get Some Peace And Quiet

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
December 23rd, 2021
article-10171-1.jpg

WORLD—A team of researchers has confirmed what women have long speculated: 90% of dads are running errands just to get some peace and quiet.

“I knew it!” cried Jill Krundy, a local mother of 2. “I knew he didn’t really want to help with the errands. He was just trying to get some time away from me and the kids!”

Jill’s husband, Bill, admitted he would often sit in his car with the engine idling, staring blankly out the windshield for up to three hours. “I just... need... peace... and quiet...” said the apparently shellshocked man as he appeared to stare at something 1000 yards away.

“I’d send him out to get some milk,” Jill fumed. “The store’s just down the street—it should take fifteen minutes, but he’d come back 2 hours later with a gallon full of warm milk. At first, I thought he was having an affair, but this is way worse!”

Experts say millions of families have near-identical stories and that the consequences run deep, ranging from the development of trust issues to cold dinners.

Of thirty countries surveyed, the report found that dads everywhere are just trying to chill out. Next year, researchers hope to find out why women take 2-hour-long showers.

It’s funny that you bring this up now.
A few weeks ago we were in Mexico. Our neighbours are this amazing couple in their eighties. One day he wanders over to see if I knew which supermarket sold non alcoholic wine. I tell him of the supermarket that I know sells it, but it’s about a half hour cab ride away.
“That’s O.K.” he replies, “sometimes I just need to get away from her”.

I talked yo my wife about this we spend enough time together if she want to go out and have a beer with her friends is fine for me, we have a healthy marriage because we do not spend all day together, I let her be so is she.

In my parent's later years my Dad was doing the same.
Mom would say something pertaining to a need such as "We are getting low on milk" BAM ! my Dad was out the door before she said "and eggs,butter,bread".
When he got home of course Mom said "you didn't let me finish so I made a list". BAM ! out the door he flew (without the list) on purpose of course.
What a cycle. Mom (tho I loved her) was one of these that never stopped talking. Drove him NUTS. He couldn't wait for some peace and quiet.
Thanks for the memories. Dec 26 was my Dads birthday.If he was still around that would make him 102.

I've often thought about sitting in my car with the engine idling... but in the garage.

VFilms , ^^^^^^^^^^ that does not sound good

Last edited:
I've known guys that stayed at work for hours past quittin' time just so they had an "excuse" not to go home.

Uh, no.

If that's your life, then you've made a poor choice of significant other.

We have no problem doing our own things at our own pace.
We both come and go as we please.
Needing an excuse to "escape" is ridiculous.

I've known guys that stayed at work for hours past quittin' time just so they had an "excuse" not to go home.

Uh, no.

If that's your life, then you've made a poor choice of significant other.

We have no problem doing our own things at our own pace.
We both come and go as we please.
Needing an excuse to "escape" is ridiculous.
Some of these reply’s are just meant to be funny, like mine. I’ve been married 48 years and love spending time with my wife. Some days I can’t wait to see her. Like you, we like doing things together and separately. We share what we have done that day over dinner. Makes for a wonderful life together. Then again, not every husband has a wife like mine.

Yeah, I meant no harm in my post. My folks were together for 70 years
My Mom was such a talker. My wife said Mom could keep talking thru each inhale/exhale and not skip a word.

Been married for 22 years, and having your own activities and and friends is a huge benefit.

Well, not going into details but several here already knows some lol. Just glad she finally left but still wonder what took her so dang long!?

I was taking care of my 92 year old father for 6 1/2 years.. All of the people at my neighborhood supermarket always asked me why I was smiling having a good time there.... It was 2 hours to myself......

I like the peace & quiet...

I was taking care of my 92 year old father for 6 1/2 years.

I think allot of our generation had been thru this. Dad made it to 89 Mom 98. Right now taking care of Mother-in-law who is 95.Full time job.

I think allot of our generation had been thru this. Dad made it to 89 Mom 98. Right now taking care of Mother-in-law who is 95.Full time job.
And I am being blunt here, but for the most part there is NO QUALITY of life at that age and it takes away any quality of life to the provider....

Auto Transport Service
Back