• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction 66-68 Console top from OER/Classic Industries - problem

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:10 PM
Reaction score
Ordered a ribbed console set and although the door remains on backorder I started fitting the rest of it to my car's console. Ran into a problem with the front top plate (manual trans) in that it does not conform to the top profile of the console base (which is original). Basically it's sprung compared to the original. If I hold the rear down tight to the console base, the front is sticking nearly 1/2" up in the air and impossible to install properly.

IMG_5528.JPG
IMG_5529.JPG
IMG_5530.JPG

Has anyone purchased one of these and had a similar issue? I hate it - everything else I've gotten from OER has been top quality, usually better than original.

I'm going to send this to Classic and see what they know. I believe there is another company reproducing these ribbed console plate sets - but not sure who. Is it AMD?

Maybe it is PG Classics
Another picture. Actual warp is around an inch from this approach.

IMG_5531.JPG

Yikes
And they don't give those things away either :mad:

Just got a set of my reproductions out, I don't know where these came from, as I swapped to get them. You are right. I have a reproduction console plastic and a original front top plate fits it perfectly the new 4-speed top plate, when seated at the console door lacks a 1/2" seating at the front. I will have to contact the person I swapped those 69-70 plates to and see where they came from. That's a pisser.

I had a similar problem with a 69-70 style 4 speed plate as well.

No, they are not cheap. I’ll let you know what Classic has to say about it. Looking down the side of the plate it’s clear it has a swoop cast in it. I have a feeling I will have to ship the whole kit back to them for a credit. I’ll probably try PG Classic then if the confirm they are not from the same source as OER.

They're ejecting them from the mould before they get a chance to set or different thicknesses are shrinking at different rates warping it. Something like that should have a "clamp table" to cool on and hold it flat. But I digress..... that sucks that it's that way after good money spent.

I sent a console top plate from my 1964 Polara 500 to a local company for rechroming. It came back warped like your newer piece. I took it back, along with my console to show them the problem. They had my pieces for a week, and they somehow un-warped my top and it fit my console. Your piece may have also been damaged by the plating process.

Fran - no, I’m unable to use it. The console body is way to stiff to deal with that much warp and would look weird and probably gap off of the transmission tunnel at the front if it could be forced together. The old top lays nice and flat on it.

There was recent thread about this very issue either on one of the facebook groups I'm in or Moparts.

But anyway Mike Ross chimed in ( owner of BEA parts , aka former partner of PG Classics ) He said they ALL fit like this.
He put them on a Hyd press and straightened everyone of them to fit a console body as he sold them before they ever left his shop.

They are ALL made by PG Classics btw

I keep thinking about upgrading the ones in my car , But this very issue keeps me from pulling that trigger. and mine are nice,,,,,,just not mint

This is not a new problem.. This has been known for 3 years or more that I know of... For awhile it was a battle as to what was faulty a new console body or the new top plate.. After showing factory plates goin right on new and old consoles it was determined these were the issue... When that happened they were all over for about $195 instead of $400-425 they were selling for..

Interesting - still waiting on a response from the Classic rep I spoke with. I was hoping PG Classics used a different foundry but sounds like that’s not the case. I have a 12 ton press but probably not wide enough for this - and sounds like risky business trying to straighten a die cast part like that. By the way, they are still $400 individually from Classic and $355 from PG Classic.

There was recent thread about this very issue either on one of the facebook groups I'm in or Moparts.

But anyway Mike Ross chimed in ( owner of BEA parts , aka former partner of PG Classics ) He said they ALL fit like this.
He put them on a Hyd press and straightened everyone of them to fit a console body as he sold them before they ever left his shop.

They are ALL made by PG Classics btw

I keep thinking about upgrading the ones in my car , But this very issue keeps me from pulling that trigger. and mine are nice,,,,,,just not mint
I didn’t think Mike Ross was still in business.

Your piece may have also been damaged by the plating process.
Correct.

I sent a set of originals in for plating some years ago to a local company....the top came back all warped just like those new ones from Classic. It's the plating process that warps the plates. Door was warped also. The butt end was OK, as the curves were enough to stave off any change of shape.

I didn’t think Mike Ross was still in business.

Mike is still selling his old stock, not producing anything new... And has been restoring cars for customers.... Good guy....

He was partners with Peter Gee. (PG parts out of Canada) but Mike wanted to raise the bar on quality & Peter just wants to move parts... Mike would spend time on practically every item fixing it's problems before selling it.... (Like straightening console plates) and he wanted to cherry pick parts for his customers

I have thought about how I might flatten it in my press. I have a 2” thick block of HDPE about 14 ln square - really tough stuff. I could frame the sides with two angle steel pieces and a center plate and set it across the press bar. Tape up the surface of the plate and lay it upside down across the HDPE and put a piece of 2x8 on top and a piece of 4x4 on that and press away. Maybe load it up over 3 days gradually to let it stress relieve a little. Could even play my heat gun over it. Probably wait to see what Classic says first as I will probably own it for sure after this.

Auto Transport Service
Back