• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction Instrument Bezel, Assembly.

Terry Kitzman

Local time
2:01 AM
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding my instrument panel, What adhesive is everyone using when installing the gauge lenses and indicator lenses on reproduction Bezels?

I'm rebuilding my instrument panel, What adhesive is everyone using when installing the gauge lenses and indicator lenses on reproduction Bezels?
I try to melt the tabs If there is enough material. Are you talking new lenses, new new cluster?
I have used silicone, right or wrong, it worked.

Refaced gauges, New bezel from classic.
Refaced gauges, New bezel from classic.
If I understand correctly, you are putting old lenses in the new cluster housing. I suggest you do a lot of test fitting into the dash with the cluster. If you have the old cluster housing, compare the two. Also check the of the screw holes between the old and new clusters. A little off your question though.
After putting old lenses in a repo housing, we spent hours modifying the new housing to fit the dash.
These housings did not come from Classic Industries.

This is pretty good stuff:
16NG98_AS01?$mdmain$.jpg

The factory used a black silicone
I suspect to block light out as well as seal
We used Ultra black RTV on my dash

In my 66/67 Charger gauge restoration business, I've probably installed 30 or so new lens sets in reproduction bezels. I use a small amount of gel super glue to attach the indicator lenses. For the gauge lenses, I use Permatex Black silicone adhesive sealant. I also use a small amount to attach the lens centers. Key is to go slow and not to cut the sealant nozzle too large.

A couple of notes.....

The fuel lens has one of the cutouts misaligned to the tabs on the bezel. I normally leave it alone as it still will fit properly. The tach lens has one of the holes for the lens center that is drilled too small for the center posts. I very carefully drill it out so the post will go through.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back