• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction Magnum 500 all chrome rims

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
Hey fellas. I noticed when I was washing my 68 Road Runner a month or two ago, that the mag 500's I purchased new from Summit (vintage wheels manufactured) showed some "speckling". I mean tiny little dots that you can see up close. The rims' chrome no longer looks mirror shiny.
I bought these about three years ago, and the car is always in my garage when not being driven - and even then, I don't drive her as often as I would like.
Have any of you noticed this on these wheels? I was kinda disappointed.
I have been thinking of going with the original steel wheels and a mint set of "Deluxe Wheel Covers" that came on the 67s and 68s.
I can't imagine what these wheels would look like if I drove this car daily!

I'm right there with you on the "Wheel Vintiques" brand Magnum wheels. I, too, go out to the garage after the birds sit all winter, and right there are RUST spots on my Wheel Vintiques Magnum 500 chrome wheels. The chrome rim portion of the wheel RUSTS while sitting indoors ---- I guess that ambient moisture condensing out of the air is all it takes. Needless to say, I am disappointed and ticked-off!!

If that's all the "quality" Wheel Vintiques can build in for the money I pay them.....well, Heck on 'em! Who else makes repro magnum wheels???? I'd pay a little more for QUALITY! Wheel Vintiques is not!!

Jim
75 Road Runner X 2
73 Road Runner
70 Road Runner

American Racing in 15" or 17"

m500.jpg

Yearone's in 17"

cmw179blk.jpg

These are nice, but not on my car. I'm going back to original, steelies and wheel covers.

I also heard of rust issues on the Magnum 500 wheels. My friends Torino has these wheels, and they are doing the same thing. I have some 46 year old magnums that have held up better. I have to say The magnums "made in the USA" I bought back in 1999 still look great. So, for now it's steel wheels and caps for me as well. If there is a better supplier, who would it be?

I have the Summit wheels for 2 years now and they still look great.I polish them with chrome polish at least twice during the summer.

I have the Summit wheels for 2 years now and they still look great.I polish them with chrome polish at least twice during the summer.

Summit has a different vendor? I would really like to buy a set for the Charger, but my confidence level is a little on the low side
right now.

My cars also is garaged and I noticed little specs to but they seem to come off with never dull without a problem. I do keep up with them especially with having disc brakes on the front I don't like the brake dust to sit on the rims I usually wipe them down and wax/detail them before I put the car away

Yep, chroming ain't what it used to be.

When I had my last two motorcycles, I discovered that after three seasons, including keeping the newest one in the shed, the chrome looked worse than the bumpers on my 66 that had spent it's life outside until I bough it in 04!

- - - Updated - - -

I believe those alternative wheels are aluminum/alloy.

That opens up a whole new plethora of weathering concerns.

That is true. I have 1970 Roadrunner bumpers sitting in the shed with better chrome than the newer wheels I've seen.

Monaco66coupe, I like those wheel covers on your Charger! I rarely see wheel covers on show cars at Carlisle - too bad, since I like a bunch of the wheel covers / hub caps.

Monaco66coupe, I like those wheel covers on your Charger! I rarely see wheel covers on show cars at Carlisle - too bad, since I like a bunch of the wheel covers / hub caps.

I went to basic training on 10 sept 70', and went to tech school on 28 oct 70' I stepped off the bus in front of the Airmens club, where Black magic Woman was on the Juke box. After three or four pitchers of beer, I walked outside and the Base theater had BULLIT on. I had never seen it. To this day, a 68' Charger has to have those hubcaps. I have never shown my cars in public, but if the car came with caps, it has them.
I bought this Charger in 1984 from the original owner. It will always be in the family, no matter what.

The Summit Wheels are Wheel Vintiques and they rust pretty easily if they are exposed to dust and humidity. You need to keep them coated with a good chrome polish and protectant. A set of the cloth wheel covers like used in body shops also help a lot in protecting from dust. The particles of dust and moisture interact to start rust spots on the wheels. When hept polished and protected from dust during storage, this is not much of a problem. I would have to say the Wheel Vintiques Magnums are probably unsuitable for a daily driver in a wet, dirty or salt exposure climate.

Auto Transport Service
Back