• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reproduction Upper Control Arms

Rob'68Net

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:51 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone used a factory style repro upper control arm? Is the quality any good? Rebuilding front suspension on a '69 Bee, and wondering if I should replace upper arms with new, or put new bushings and ball joints in the factory arms. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

It does depend on your goals for the car,
Stock OEM restoration or a cruiser, the stock parts work fine.
If your parts are damaged and need replacements, the reproductions might be a smart move.
Finally, if you're into improved performance, aftermarket UCAs with improved caster built in are an excellent idea. You'll get the ability to get alignment settings closer to what modern cars have.

Reuse what you have unless they are too rusty.
Or what Kern says.

I used reproductions restoring my Bee as my OE's were beat. The reproductions themselves were good and powder coated, but the upper control arm bushings are junk.. pushed them out with my fingers and installed new ones from PST. I also replaced the unknown ball joint with PST's for safe measure. What was there was probably fine, but I had the entire front end kit from PST so why not.
beerestoration2017 1752.JPG
beerestoration2017 1753.JPG
beerestoration2017 1754.JPG
beerestoration2017 1755.JPG
beerestoration2017 1756.JPG
beerestoration2017 1757.JPG
beerestoration2017 1762.JPG
beerestoration2017 1763.JPG
beerestoration2017 1764.JPG
beerestoration2017 1765.JPG

Dang....Wayne is the complete opposite of a buddy of mine.
This guy I know installs almost everything in it's "junkyard fresh" appearance with dirt and grease fully intact.
Nice work, sir.

It does depend on your goals for the car,
Stock OEM restoration or a cruiser, the stock parts work fine.
If your parts are damaged and need replacements, the reproductions might be a smart move.
Finally, if you're into improved performance, aftermarket UCAs with improved caster built in are an excellent idea. You'll get the ability to get alignment settings closer to what modern cars have.
What he said.

Dang....Wayne is the complete opposite of a buddy of mine.
This guy I know installs almost everything in it's "junkyard fresh" appearance with dirt and grease fully intact.
Nice work, sir.
Maybe your buddy wants to keep it looking like an old original used car?

Maybe your buddy wants to keep it looking like an old original used car?
It has always made me shake my head, that guy....
Yeah, I've seen him install transmissions, rear axles and even complete front disc brake change-overs without so much as passing a wire brush across anything. He is a great guy but the guy reminds me of Oscar Madison to my Felix Unger.

Thanks for the detailed pics ! Yes my concern was the fit/quality of the bushings in the control arm, and also the quality of the ball joint. The steel stamped factory arms I am working with are in pretty good shape. I think I will just clean them up, re-spray them and install good quality parts. I appreciate the info. !!

Ive used a couple set of the repops on previous builds and have no complaints .
To my knowledge they are still intact with no issues

Life is a lot easier with the bushing removal and installation tool shown.
If you're changing the upper ball joint do it with the control arm still on the car, it takes much grunting to break it loose. Start the new joint by hand to avoid cross threading. Upper ball joint takes a special socket.

I used reproductions restoring my Bee as my OE's were beat. The reproductions themselves were good and powder coated, but the upper control arm bushings are junk.. pushed them out with my fingers and installed new ones from PST. I also replaced the unknown ball joint with PST's for safe measure. What was there was probably fine, but I had the entire front end kit from PST so why not.
View attachment 1205565 View attachment 1205566 View attachment 1205567 View attachment 1205568 View attachment 1205569 View attachment 1205570 View attachment 1205571 View attachment 1205572 View attachment 1205573 View attachment 1205574
Where did you get the bushing tool?

PST also has the repro control arms and a 10% discount for members here, they have a click ad on the main page which takes you to their site. And the socket tool as well $48.00 I think it was.

Will be following your thread with interest as I'm just about to do the front end, ucl,lca, balljoints etc on my 71 Charger. Last one I did was back in 2012 on my old 68 Charger, probably have forgotten a few things by now.

Likely I will order the full PST package though with 4x shocks and rear spring hangers too.

I bought the repops. Looked pretty good. I swapped out the bushings for moog offset bushings. Also replaced the ball joints with moog. ISSUE- One of the ball joints (left side) was cross threaded so threads are shot and my new ball joint won’t tighten up. Sucks.

Has anyone used a factory style repro upper control arm? Is the quality any good? Rebuilding front suspension on a '69 Bee, and wondering if I should replace upper arms with new, or put new bushings and ball joints in the factory arms. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
The cheap rock auto sets look great but fit is not good. A waste of money. They rub on the frame tabs at the inner bushings and the bushing that comes with them is 3/4" inside diameter instead of 1/2". I fail to see a difference in these cheapo arms and the over priced ones from name brand sellers....maybe a grease zerk. They are around $400 a set. rip off. The do not allow any more caster and they are heavier the stock arms. I bought them as a time savings over rebuilding the stock arms. I finally rebuild the stockers and am WAY happier. I just cant get much caster at alll.....max at 1.5 degrees. oh well. 1971 Coronet.

20221109_154835.jpg

20221109_154914.jpg

50 A ARM REBUILD.jpg

Get creative...I used all thread and an old crush sleeve with a few washers. Muscle building exercise for sure. The biggest issue is the socket for the ball joints and ratchet. Nice having mopar buddies to borrow stuff like that from.

25 A ARM REBUILD.jpg

40 A ARM REBUILD.jpg

My new set just arrived at the doors not 5 minutes ago. At first glance they look great. After reading what Wayne wrote about the bushings. I had to check them out first. Tight, very tight. As far as I could tell. So the new offset bushings pushed right into the "reproduction" control arms? Also the new balljoint screwed right in? No problem? So if a fella had to rebuild these the specs/dimensions are the same??

new upper control arms.JPG

My new set just arrived at the doors not 5 minutes ago. At first glance they look great. After reading what Wayne wrote about the bushings. I had to check them out first. Tight, very tight. As far as I could tell. So the new offset bushings pushed right into the "reproduction" control arms? Also the new balljoint screwed right in? No problem? So if a fella had to rebuild these the specs/dimensions are the same??

View attachment 1383905
The offset bushings pressed in fine. I found out through research that my stock ball joints were not cross threaded, but that they are a different thread than the Moog upper ball joint. One of mine torqued to spec, the other stripped out.

Auto Transport Service
Back