• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

residual valve with proportioning valve

megaivtes

Local time
6:14 PM
Reaction score
Installing The right stuff front drum to disc conversion. My question from what i understand is a 10# residual valve is needed to keep the rear drums from pulling shoes back excessively.
This kit only comes with an adjustable proportioning valve.
My understanding is to mount/install the residual valve then the proportioning valve as shown below.
1654259288393.png

it's going to depend on what master cylinder you use. Most OEM style have the residual valve built in but an after market MC such as a Wilwood, will not

i confirmed that the

Cardone Industries 131571 does not have a residual valve. I assume residual valve could be mounted in a vertical position as well being that its just a simple check valve?

1654261769634.png

Better recheck. Thats a production replacement for rear drum brakes and it should have the residual valve.

Better recheck. Thats a production replacement for rear drum brakes and it should have the residual valve.
Cardone confirms all their master cylinders do not have residual valves.

so to get back to question in hand from others experience's.....
-is the correct application to mount the residual ahead of the proportioning valve?
-does the residual valve need to be mounted horizontal?

Cardone confirms all their master cylinders do not have residual valves.
Do you have one? If so, you can check by trying to insert a thin rod or use a straightened cotter pin in the front port hole. No valve the pin will go in deep, if it has one the pin will stop almost immediately as it is being blocked by the valve

OIP.jpg

so to get back to question in hand from others experience's.....
-is the correct application to mount the residual ahead of the proportioning valve?
-does the residual valve need to be mounted horizontal?

Residual valves can be mounted in any direction. it doesn't matter if it's before or after an adjustable valve.
Their drawing is not correct, if you use a combination valve as shown you have no reason for residual or adjustable valves

Keep in mind the right stuff, MBM etc are only concerned with selling you parts whether you need them or not. I run drum brakes all the time without a residual valve and it is unnoticeable from when there was a valve in line. The only time a residual valve is mandatory is when the master is below the level of the brakes

I believe in 1975 they stopped putting residual valves in the MC and started with expanders in the rear wheel cylinders. I have no residual valves in my MC and nothing inline and I have no trouble with braking. The Disc O Tech brake article references the lack of residual valves and expanders in the wheel cylinders.

My m/c from Dr Diff does not have a residual pressure valve either. I spent a yr trying to figure out why it felt like air was getting in the system n requiring pumping periodically. Cass said to install a 10psi for the rear as close to the master cylinder as possible before my distribution block. I went ahead and installed a 10 psi for rear and 2 psi for front. Had a custom made line for both front n rear from m/c to distribution block w valves installed. Amazing difference!!! 15/16" bore manual brakes and they are easy n stop on a dime.

My m/c from Dr Diff does not have a residual pressure valve either. I spent a yr trying to figure out why it felt like air was getting in the system n requiring pumping periodically. Cass said to install a 10psi for the rear as close to the master cylinder as possible before my distribution block. I went ahead and installed a 10 psi for rear and 2 psi for front. Had a custom made line for both front n rear from m/c to distribution block w valves installed. Amazing difference!!! 15/16" bore manual brakes and they are easy n stop on a dime.
Agreed. I have a 4 disc system with 2# RCV's
in each line with an adjustable proportioning
valve. No RCV's in the master. Brakes are
excellent

20211227_151541_HDR.jpg

My 4 wheel disc has no valves. Good pedal right on the top every time. Wilwood front, Ford SVO rear and master from Dr.D.

Auto Transport Service
Back