• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

resolving steering issues

ksurfer2

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
So I have been the proud owner of my 60 RR a-12 clone for a whole 4 days now. There are a couple of issues with the steering that I would like to resolve. The car feels great on the road, the power steering works awesome.....very light effort on the steering wheel and the car tracks very well with slight play in the steering wheel. The issues I have is that the steering wheel is off center....when the car wheels are straight, the steering wheel is clocked to the right (imagine a vertical line out the top would be at about 1:30). Also, there is a leak that I assume is power steering fluid (red in color and too far forward to be the transmission). I have read a little about diagnosing and repairing the leak, but would like some insight on getting the steering wheel centered.

Thanks!

Let us assume the car is perfectly aligned.....if the total turns to the right match the total to the left.....Then the easiest option to get the wheel positioned correctly is to take the wheel off and file out the "key way" and center the wheel then....

If your turns do not match then it is back to the alignment shop....The box needs to be centered and the notch on the coupler points north and the same with the key way on the shaft where the steering wheel goes....

Far as the leak...well you have to find where it is coming from first and then report back...

Welcome to the forum and let us see some pics....of the 69 not 60,,,lol

Last edited:
Well 1:30 isn’t really that far off; bushings worn,tie rod ends,etc. How long since frt end alignment?

You center the steering wheel by adjusting the tie rod sleeves.

Do yourself a favor and send your steering box off to Steer & Gear in Columbus Ohio and have them rebuild it with a "Firm Feel". Had that done to mine and it feels like a modern steering system now. Well worth the expense.

Good Luck

Auto Transport Service
Back