• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resto mod-pro touring definition

IMHO, a restomod is restored to a mostly stock level. Bolt on improvements like disc brakes chassis and suspension along with engine improvements and the like. These mods are primarily safety and cosmetic.
Pro Touring goes beyond those mods and can have modern drivetrains, body and chassis mods not easily reversed, 17"÷ wheels and tires upgraded interior stuff like seats, gauges, climate control etc. All these mods for Pro touring are performance enhancing, not just cosmetic.
I think this is a subjective topic, I'm looking forward to others opinions.
Tim

Like he said. A restomod is a restoration with better bolt on parts, a pro-touring car is a built race car with an old school car body on it

Thanks so don't know but my 70 rr caged&tubbed ,fuel cell ,i have ahot 413 air grabber set up ,six pack and plan on making it red paint and big cartoony roadrunners on quarters and custom dust trail stripes removed front half of cage

Last edited:
Murky and subjective. I run poor mans pro touring. Old,loud, reliable Mopar with ac, efi etc.
No LS? with 40k paint job.

I agree with tmaleck, pretty good explanation as far as I'm concerned.

THIS is a Pro Touring build. 5.7, Nag1, alterktion,4 link, 4 discs,17" Torq Thrusts. 18mpg all the time, reach in and turn the key to start. Looks very stock.
My opinion anyway.

GTX at river.jpg

I think a resto mod is upgrading parts while keeping a stock look. Poly bushings, better intake, sway bars, tbars, trans.
Pro touring is where you replace the stock design with modern designs. Rack and pinion, modern engine, coil front suspension.

Restomod = Keeping factory design on things such as suspension, engine, transmission, wtc and simply improving those items with better / more modern parts....

Pro-Touring = throwing all / most factory engineering out the window and going with completely new set ups...

My car for example is kind of in-between (IMO) -- 6.1L hemi, T-56, newer AC, wiring and larger disc brakes that I made fit. However, I still use a torsion bar system, rear leaf springs, and pretty much a factory interior set up.

Darius is pretty much on the ball - he has a truer Pro-Touring car

Some of these parts/systems I have and I will install or have someone install, some are on "the list".
70 Roadrunner, real V-code. 440 6bbl with plans for a stroker 6bbl, possibly 3x2 EFI one day. Vintage Air, Passon a855 5 speed. Cold Case aluminum radiator. QA1 front suspension including tubular K-member, RMS StreetLynx or Gerst triangulated rear suspension. Dakota digital gauges. Custom center console, Scat bucket seats. 17" Rallye aluminum wheels, 4 wheel 6 piston Wilwood disc brakes. Wraptor serpentine belt system with all accessories. Borgeson power steering box. 315/35/17s with possibility of tubs/mini tubs and a custom widened version of my current rear wheels. Not planning on rack and pinion, and suspension is more for cruising and drag strip performance vs corner carving.
Other than bad ***, what would that ultimately be? RestoMod or Pro Touring?

Last edited:
I agree with most all of the post above. Sometimes a car will be a mixture of both, as both styles are similar in the fact that they both improve the handling, braking, and performance. I feel like my car leans toward pro-touring, but let's see what everyone else's opinion is.
It is a 440 but with EFI and timing control, 727, 8.75 rear, hotchkis lowering leaf springs, QA1 front suspension and K frame (still uses torsion bars), Borgeson steering box, weld in chassis stiffening, 14" brembo front disc, 12" rear disc, 18" wheels (just barely clear the brakes), Lexus bucket seats in front, shoulder belts front and rear

58787508_3249086045117490_7941504618905731072jdfh.jpg

From a classic cars sales site:
Restomod
The word “restomod” is a combination of restoration and modern –– which gives you an idea of what this concept is all about. Essentially, it’s an approach that involves restoring a classic car so that most –– or all –– of its esthetics match the original version, but significant high-performance upgrades have been made to the engine, transmission, and other systems and parts.

People who love restomods (and there are many of them!) feel this restoration approach delivers “the best of both worlds.” That’s because their car looks like a classic model from decades ago, but performs like something built last week.

Pro Touring
Pro touring refers to a kind of classic muscle that has been fundamentally enhanced to either meet –– or quite often surpass –– the performance standards of a modern performance vehicle. Imagine taking a glorious ’69 Dodge Charger and making numerous improvements so that it can drive side-by-side (or zoom past) a Ferrari or Porsche. While esthetic improvements are part of the process, generally speaking enhancements are about performance. For example: the suspension may be re-engineered for better geometry, or 13” brakes may be added.

The Overlap
If you’re scratching your head and saying, “hmmm, these concepts seem very similar!” then you’re right –– and that’s why the terms are often used interchangeably. Plus, there are some car restoration enthusiasts who steadfastly refuse to consider pro touring a type of restoration at all –– since the true goal of pro touring is to “enhance” rather than “restore.” There’s obviously a big enhancement element to a restomod as well, though emphasis is not purely on performance in that scenario. (You can see why restomods and pro touring are popular topics of conversation, and sometimes debate, at shows and events!)

I consider my build to be an OE+.
Stock appearing and with upgrades that only shows when you open the hood.
-68 Charger with a 2016 5,7 and a Tremec 6 speed
Maybe its a restomod after all?

file91.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back