• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration Gurus - Correct colors for under hood components

Black_Sheep

Super Commando
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
Trying to get it right, but there’s a few things I’m still unsure of even after looking at survivors and photos of survivors. The uncertainty is compounded by conflicting information found in books and magazine articles. The items in question are:

Power steering gear, gloss black or?
KD bell crank on the throttle cable bracket, natural or orange?
K member, gloss or 80% black?
Sway bar links

Thanks in advance

Most everything was natural. The bell crank as I recall was engine color.

This is a 1970 GTX. These components are correct according to a survivor car, and people that are very studied on these cars. This car won a concourse gold certificate at MCACN in 2021. This is showing 3 of the items that you are questioning. I hope it helps you out.

IMG_2238.JPG

I went back and looked at all the photos I took of my original 69 Charger that I took apart 20 years ago. I was wrong on the K-Frame it did have signs of being a satin black. The gear box was natural cast and the sway bar links were also natural with no signs of paint. These discussions have come up a lot and a lot depends on the cars year and plant it was made at.

Last edited:
I went back and looked at all the photos I took of my original 69 Charger that I took apart 20 years ago. I was wrong on the K-Frame it did have signs of being a satin black. The gear box was natural cast and the sway bar links were also natural with no signs of paint. These discussions have come up a lot and a lot depends on the cars year and plant is mas made at.

1969 St Louis build

pnora is correct, some of the items are year and manufacturing plant specific. In the photo above the GTX is a '70 with a St. Louis build. Oh, and the anti-sway bar end links are plain on the survivor car which was also a St. Louis built car.

Auto Transport Service
Back