• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring 72 charger engine wiring

400sforever

Local time
9:41 AM
Reaction score
im wanting to re-wrap and clean up my original 72 charger se engine and headlight wiring harnesses. Anyone have any good ideas for re Wrapping? Do I buy that non adhesive wrap just like the factory used? Is it hard to re-wrap with that stuff? Thanks

It is pretty much straight up. Begin from the front end and finish at bulkhead plug side. Even I never have used the non stick tape ( unavailable down here when I made mines ) I used the self bonding 3M tape. I even used a cord at some places like factory did, for example where some wires are leaving the tape allong the run.

It must be in one trace without cut the tape. If the harness get a Y to run in two diff directions, the tape must be unrolled straight from the splice, parallel to the wires up to reach the end and begin the job like you were making on the other section of harness, wrapping the same tape you run straight untill reach once again the splitt of the harness, and once the splice is reached again, just continue straight to the bulkhead side. Dunno if you got it.

I bought 1 or 2 rolls of the original non sticking tape at Carlisle 2008, but since I thought it was to be not enough ( should bought couple more ) to make the full car, decided to use the 3M one what it was available down here at shops, to make all the car equal.

My car got several parts spliced and covered with regular sticking tape. WHAT A MESS! I had to clean all wires with kerosene to remove the glue, then clean the kerosene with water and soap.

Last edited:
I agree with the non adhesive wrapping. When you unwrap the harness you will see how the notches are done like Nacho said said above.

I have always like Easy Off oven cleaner to clean them up before tearing them apart, soak em down real good then hose them off after a few minutes. Doesn't hurt them at all.

Thanks for the info! Does the factory type tape somehow adhere to itself or does it just have a mild adhesive the sticks to itself when wrapping?

The pressure of being wrapped keeps it on and the end where it finishes I have seen a adhesive label with the harness part number, tape like what is used on a hockey stick, or even tied in a knot.

What I normally use when rewrap harnesses now is a piece of shrink wrap on the loose end. Gives it a tidy look.

IMG_0934.JPG

I'm into a similar project, but looking to restore the dash harness. Most of my underhood stuff needs to be replaced.

This pix shows both a '68 and a '69 harness both from GTXs If you look closely both have a "fabric" tape wrapped portion near the bulkhead connector and the rest is wrapped in the smooth "adhesive less" black tape. I was surprised when I noticed that detail.

upload_2018-12-28_18-18-14.png

I'm going to clean up my harness good and then get some tape coming! I'll give it a shot and see how it looks

Auto Transport Service
Back