• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring Dash Gauges

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:08 PM
Reaction score
I've read some earlier posts on this; but search has gone back pages. What advice do you have for cleaning the gauges and restoing plastic lenses? Thought I'd try this before more radical measures. I see some decals available for original gauges but that sounds a little iffy to do right now. I have a '62 Fury dash in my '63 and just latched onto another off ebay (dash bezel resto). Thanks.

For the plastic lenses, I recommend a good headlight restorer kit which uses an abrasive paste/rub. You probably don't need any sandpaper (if included in the kit). A UV-protectant wipe/liquid in the kit is a good idea. The liquid rub-on stuff only works so-so. Hope this helps!

I've read some earlier posts on this; but search has gone back pages. What advice do you have for cleaning the gauges and restoing plastic lenses? Thought I'd try this before more radical measures. I see some decals available for original gauges but that sounds a little iffy to do right now. I have a '62 Fury dash in my '63 and just latched onto another off ebay (dash bezel resto). Thanks.
The plastic lens should respond well to Novus products. Novus 3 is a pretty aggressive compound, use carefully on thin material. I use Novus 2 on a 4" random orbit polisher, does amazing work.
I use naptha and Q-tips to clean the gauges. If the artwork isn't too bad, a couple coats of Johnson's paste wax really brings them around. A dry brush technique with Testor's orange or white model paint works well on the needles.

I greatly appreciate your advice! Chatting with Lionized on a PM he sent me his old thread on restoration that was excellent as I'm looking to resto the bezel too. My dash is from a '62 Fury that I had put in my '63 Fury. I had it chromed years ago and it never looked right and the finish would flake off if you touched it. In hindsight I suppose it should have had some protective coating over it. Anyway, I think the original surface had chrome edging around the bezel and the gauges and the rest of it an aluminum color to appear like the (real) aluminum paneling on the lower dash. So I'm hoping to recreate this. I've attached a photo of the dash a few years after it had been chromed and if you notice it has some spots where the finish was ruined.

DSCN0703.JPG

Here is a better pic of the bezel as the one I posted isn't the best...

20170530_101546.jpg

Here is a better pic of the bezel as the one I posted isn't the best...

View attachment 580583
Following the cleaning/preparation steps in my other thread you should easily be able to recreate this look with excellent results. The spray "chrome" I used looks very similar to brushed/satin aluminum and the chrome pen I now have is much more chrome like.

If I follow ya, I should use the chrome paint on the whole bezel and then use the pen for the edge work? You must have used the thin masking tape somehow around the gauges huh? I see the photo of the Krylon paint; want to make sure I get the right stuff. I can't see the entire label. Another ? Did you apply any coating over the bezel or was what was done good to go?

If I follow ya, I should use the chrome paint on the whole bezel and then use the pen for the edge work? You must have used the thin masking tape somehow around the gauges huh? I see the photo of the Krylon paint; want to make sure I get the right stuff. I can't see the entire label. Another ? Did you apply any coating over the bezel or was what was done good to go?

Definitely use the Herb's Parts adhesion promoter when you're ready to spray. One or two very light coats is all you'll need. Also, before you scuff or do anything to the parts when they are removed, wash them in warm water with TSP. This will remove Armor All or any other silicone/wax products used on the dash over the years. Any and all prep will be extremely important for achieving a positive result.
I did have to mask off the chrome areas before spraying the black. I doubt that will be necessary when I use the pen. If any mistakes are made I'll just touch them up with the black when all is said and done.
If the aluminum look is what you're after I would certainly recommend the Krylon. Look for Premium Original Chrome.

Auto Transport Service
Back