• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring Divider between interior and trunk

Maxrat

Local time
4:01 PM
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the fine felt like material on the trunk side of the divider. It stumped me for weeks trying to figure out how to get that original look. I took the divider board to several upholstery shops and to fellow car enthusiasts and nobody could offer a good solution. So anyway, I ended up buying a piece of swede, and used the backside of the swede (glued the good side to the board). It looks great. Then, only two days later, this guy tells me about the flocking process. Low and behold, I believe they originally flocked the backside of the board. Dang it.

Last edited:
Now to the carpet side: The original carpet was folded over the bottom edge to the backside (trunk side) and the piano hinge was bolted down on top of the carpet. No carpet was showing above the piano hinge. On the bottom edge there were several (about eight to ten) small staples holding the carpet to the bottom edge. I didn't see any overlap of carpet on the sides and top of the plywood board -- mine was trimmed flush to the wood.

So, you are saying you flocked up?
Sorry, I had to ask.

Piano hinge has me stumped...

I thought that was the reason for the divider board. You could put it down and had room to flock now.

pushrod, you disagreed with the description of the trunk side of the divider board, but you left no reason. Curious why there's disagreement. This thread and my statement is to let people know what I found and to offer solutions to people unfamiliar with restoring 66 Chargers. I left this divider board untouched for weeks waiting to discover how the back side was finished. Wish I could have found the solution here --- that would have saved me a lot of time --- it would have been flocked vs. covered with a faux material.

Rear divider pics

001.JPG 002.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back