• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Retrofit led bulbs for T12 shop light

Ski 61701

Local time
2:15 AM
Reaction score
I was at Walmart (I know I know, but can't beat their price on oil) anyhow I see they have the retro fit T12 led lights. The package says works with most ballast setups. My current fixtures were put up about 6 yrs ago.
So I buy the bulbs take them home and install. I have 1 bulb thats brighter than the other, hmmm so I switched sockets and the dim bulb is still dim. Thinking that I have a defective bulb, I take it back only to have same prob with new bulbs. The bulbs in question have some sort of adapter that does not require the removal of the ballast.
Does anyone have some insight as to whats going on? Should I take them back and get different bulbs that require no ballast ? I'm not an electrician by any means, but if someone has been down this road before, I'm all ears as to what you did.
Thanks,
Steve

I would search the non-automotive forums for the correct answer. 120v and up best left to real electricians.

I would search the non-automotive forums for the correct answer. 120v and up best left to real electricians.

I figured with the diverse group of people here someone may have some insight on this. All I'm doing at this point is just changing bulbs out. No need for an electrician.

I changed out all 39 4' fixtures last year with 120 volt LEDs and I love them. One row of LEDs in my 2 bulb fixtures was brighter than the T-8s. I rewired every fixture to provide a hot and a neutral at one end of each fixture (the socket at the other end just functions to hold the LED in place) and left the "dead" ballast in place. It took about 5 minutes per fixture to rewire after I got rolling. Purchased the LEDs on Amazon in 6 bulb cases for about $55.00 per case. Each LED draws 18 watts. I went back later and added 2 more rows of LEDs in the center two of my fixture rows (7 fixtures per row) to obtain "operating room" light.
Mike

Just finished putting 16 4 foot LED in and they went fine as I had installed new ballasts in those units. So I went to install the newer 8 footers in the shop section of my garage and they acted the same way your did. I changed out the older ballast to an "electronic one" and they work perfect now....Love the LED lights. No flicker or hummmming.

Just finished putting 16 4 foot LED in and they went fine as I had installed new ballasts in those units. So I went to install the newer 8 footers in the shop section of my garage and they acted the same way your did. I changed out the older ballast to an "electronic one" and they work perfect now....Love the LED lights. No flicker or hummmming.

And no extra power lost with a quick on/off of switch!
Mike

I figured with the diverse group of people here someone may have some insight on this. All I'm doing at this point is just changing bulbs out. No need for an electrician.
Looks like your issues can be resolved with different ballasts.

I am needing to add some lighting and replacing old light fixtures, that are questionable. So, this sure helps to point me in the right direction. Nice!!!!

Throw that old crap away , get new units that are full on led there's basically nothing in them and there very bright. They run cooler too. It's just 3 wires you need to disconnect and reconnect to new unit very easy ,you could turn power off if you want too. I just leave switch in off position and no shocky shocky!

had a friend send me this ,that is where he got his ,craigslist add https://cleveland.craigslist.org/tld/d/led-lights-shop/6592193409.html
00505_8Q9kRY9swc0_1200x900.jpg

Cool, I am going to have to check this out, when I can. Got a 2 car garage, that is double length, that needs better lighting. I just have to come up with some bucks. Got things ahead of my light project, you see.

Auto Transport Service
Back