• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Return and vent line...

Daly

Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
So I'm tackling another problem on the car this weekend. The vent hose is tied into the same line as what I'm guessing is an old return line that is no longer hooked up. But before I take everything apart and put it back together the way I think it goes, I'd like some clarification. Is the vent line the one on the driversame side, tor the right of the picture?
20170616_223956.jpg

Also I've read that the 440 and 426 had return lines. My car was originally a 318 car, but now has a 440. Is a return line necessary with a 440, as mine doesn't have one, hooked up anyway.

I have never seen a gas tank strap installed backwards....

The vent lines for a plymouth has 2...One that routes inside the trunk area behind the spare tire and the other is a short bent line clipped to the shock tower brace...

Your sending unit is a 5/16 fuel sender which will work for a 440...Originally from the factory they came with a 3/8 sender and a 5/16 fuel line...Hemi and six pack came with 3/8 sender and 3/8 fuel line...

The 1/4 return line was used because it was a closed system and not vented it also helps to maintain fuel pressure...So without it you cannot pump fuel....Since you do not have a sender with that I guarantee your gas cap is "Vented"...So no you do not have to run a return but I would suggest to run one...

Here are the vent lines from my build thread
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...my-father-my-69-gtx-restoration.127388/page-6

The reason I found this problem is where the 1/4 inch line ends I dump fuel when the tank is full. Which makes me believe the one connection point on the tank is a return line. And there is a siphoning effect.
My plan is to run a vent line up and down under the car, as during the original (poorly done) restoration in the 90's, the holes in the truck were sealed. And then plug the return line connection, as I believe that is under the fuel level and causing the fuel to dump.
Will this work?

Which car it is matters no? Different wheel base cars had different tanks. There are 2 vents on most, non clean air type set ups I believe. One vent in the tank is at the rear, the other vent runs to the front of the tank. Repo tanks may have reversed the vent line up. Do a search, and several good links will come up on this.

The reason I found this problem is where the 1/4 inch line ends I dump fuel when the tank is full. Which makes me believe the one connection point on the tank is a return line. And there is a siphoning effect.
My plan is to run a vent line up and down under the car, as during the original (poorly done) restoration in the 90's, the holes in the truck were sealed. And then plug the return line connection, as I believe that is under the fuel level and causing the fuel to dump.
Will this work?
The long line that ran in the trunk was the vent and the short bent line was the overflow...Just make sure the lines run ABOVE the tank on that side up by the shock tower brace. Or you can get measurements for those hole and drill them out..

There was a problem with the repop tanks (if that is one), that the lines inside the tank were reversed and would get hooked up to the wrong vent line ouside. Created leak issues when parked on a grade.

Auto Transport Service
Back