• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Return to a thermoquad

1967coronet

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:53 PM
Reaction score
It had been since the 1980s that I had used a thermoquad on anything.
I bought a rebuilt one from another member on here { 493 mike } he did a great job on the rebuild, carb was real clean and fired up right out of the box.
I had a small issue with the secondary air valve/door timing and he helped me get that set correct.
Keep in mind I am doing this just for fun, my 750 edelbrock on the 440 has been working fine.
Well the report is this thermoquad rocks, I wish I would have done this sooner.
Car feels like it picked up some more power, plus I have got rid of some of the rich idle gas fume smell.
Anyway whats old is new again. :thumbsup:

I've always been a fan of the TQ. I run one on my 88 Dodge Ram.
I have been entertaining the thought of putting one on my Hemi car now that I went to a single 4bbl.I saw a old video of a 70 'Cuda stocker of Sox&Martin fame with a Hemi and a single TQ they were testing. Got me thinking.

It had been since the 1980s that I had used a thermoquad on anything.
I bought a rebuilt one from another member on here { 493 mike } he did a great job on the rebuild, carb was real clean and fired up right out of the box.
I had a small issue with the secondary air valve/door timing and he helped me get that set correct.
Keep in mind I am doing this just for fun, my 750 edelbrock on the 440 has been working fine.
Well the report is this thermoquad rocks, I wish I would have done this sooner.
Car feels like it picked up some more power, plus I have got rid of some of the rich idle gas fume smell.
Anyway whats old is new again. :thumbsup:
What intake are you using?
I agree on the thermoquad .
We have a 1985 1 ton camper van. 360 4 bbl auto. 62,000 miles. Bought it used 11 years ago . Had a quadrajet(sp). Had that carb worked on , made trips to Az, Tx. Got around 9-10 miles to the Canadian gallon, and no performance. Gave the carb away and put on a TQ. Now have gotten as high as 15 mpg, can usually cont on 13 mpg and performance.

What intake are you using?
I agree on the thermoquad .
We have a 1985 1 ton camper van. 360 4 bbl auto. 62,000 miles. Bought it used 11 years ago . Had a quadrajet(sp). Had that carb worked on , made trips to Az, Tx. Got around 9-10 miles to the Canadian gallon, and no performance. Gave the carb away and put on a TQ. Now have gotten as high as 15 mpg, can usually cont on 13 mpg and performance.

I have a edelbrock preformer on it, LOL never really thought about the mpg , mabey it will be better.

some folks have good luck with them. others, not so much. I am one of those that will not use one ever again. I had one backfire on me going up a hill, 2 minutes later smoke and flames began pouring out from under the hood, lost the car (74 new Yorker...no real loss lol) the evil thermobog, not for me lol. I've talked to lots of people who have had similar issues, and some who swear by them.

Stocker racers still use them.I think NHRA now allows the use of Q-Jets in place of the TQ.
Not sure about that though.

Big block mopars always seem to generate a lot of heat up through the intake when shut down. That is why Ma used the Thermoquad. The plastic center works as a heat sync so the fuel doesn't boil back out of the carb. IMO, there is none better if they are tuned properly. The 850 TQ that came on my 78 440 truck has seen over 500K miles and still works great although it has been rebuilt twice. I swapped it out for a Holley once but only for a couple days when the performance and mileage both suffered.

Never understood the nasty leaky Holley thing that required mods out of the box new to make it work right and stay that way.

Holley's new Street Demon is very much a Thermoquad. I dont know anyone using one.

Auto Transport Service
Back