• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

reverse light trans switch

daredevil

Local time
6:39 AM
Reaction score
I have a later 727 in my 66 coronet. in 66 there was a ground wire from the relay to the trans. I have a 3 prong plug on my trans . Can i just pull the 3 prong and screw in a single stud switch so i dont have to monkey with the wires. I know i could just ground the wire but that doesnt seem safe cause car could start in gear.How do the reverse lights get power on the earlier cars. was there a switch on the shifter for reverse lights? thanks for all replys.

I know that 67 a 68 has switches on the shifters, I remember dealing with a 68 Road Runner column shift car and a 67 GTX floor shift car, Both of these had switches, I think I got some of these in the shop what do you have Column or Floor Shift ?

floor. im wondering if it is in the collum? car is converted to floor shift. naybe i can get a later wiring diagram and wire the 3 prong switch

It's not in the column, it mounts on the outside of the column near the bottom, it's held on by three screws, looks like a cover, 3/4 tall, 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 , Super easy to remove with column in place, ....need me to send a picture of one ?

nah i can find it by your description. now i got to find a 3 prong trans pigtail and wire it late model style. or just throw a reverse light toggle beside the f/p switch. do you know it you can change the 3 prong switch to single pole i guess i could put it in park and see which one is a ground and then put it in gear and if its open then i can crimp a round socket on my wire and plug it in. Its a half race half resto so it wont matter

Not sure about the switch change out, I don't see why not, but I will look at a couple different transmission tomorrow and find out for sure, ....3 prong pigtails are no problem, if you can't find one in your area I will get you a good used one.

Does the switch grab power on an outer prong and when shifted into reverse complete the circuit and feed the power wire to the reverse lights?. My switch is gone from the collum or console so i was wondering if its as simple as feeding power to the outer prong and then wiring the reverse lights hot to the other side outer prong. I hope this makes sense.

thats what i did and i found the collum wires for reverse lights tucked under the dash so im gonna throw a toggle for the reverse lights. thanks all

Auto Transport Service
Back