• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

riddle me this .....

65-440

Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
My coronet is finally finished, and I am starting to rack up some miles. I've decided to daily drive it for a few weeks just to make sure nothing else pops up. This is not the first time I noticed this, but it happened again this morning..... Bright and early in the morning, cool and crisp outside ... my temp gauge is 3/4 of the way up( close to the top of the "normal" hashmark ), but in the afternoon when its warmer out the needle is dead center of the gauge. Does this seem backwards to anybody else ? ... shouldn't it be running cooler in the crisp morning air ? ... new 180degree t-stat, temp sensor, voltage limiter, radiator recored, all new hoses,all wiring gone through and repaired as necessary, plus everything else I've done over the last 11 months ! I know I need to spend time and the car and get used to it, but I just cant wrap my head around the car running cooler in warmer temps . Thanks, Erik

Could be a few things.

Glitch in the temp gauge. You might find some sort of inexpensive gauge, even a "tape on" thermometer, and temporarily tape it to the underside of the top hose, with some insulation on top of that. "Monitor" the thermometer against the gauge a few days

Sticking T stat. Especially now that parts have become SO terrible in quality, "generally." "Used to be" Stant was a good brand. Might consider just changing the stat

Is the belt tight? Humidity, wetness, whatever, could be causing the belt to slip, although, not sure how that logically correlates to cool /warm temps

Auto Transport Service
Back