• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ride Height adjustment - where?

The term “adjusting blade” had both me and my dad—who has farmed 50 years & seen a lot of repair manuals—perplexed. I figure somebody past/present/future had to be in the same spot & posted this.
You raise another question:
The repair manual Figure 2 photo shows the B measurement at the point of the knuckle directly below the lower ball joint, whereas the written instructions indicate “lowest point of steering knuckle arm” which would indicate the point where it meets the tie rod end. The height difference between those two points is considerable.
I’m leaning toward the written instruction.
The steering arm is also the lower ball joint.

I go low spot of ball joint. (Not grease fitting)
And the difference in height between the point just below the ball joint to the floor (where Service Manual photo shows), and the bottom of the arm at the tie rod end to the floor (where the written part says to go), is 3/4”.
Hmmm.

Last edited:
Crank ‘em up or try alignment at that setting if you like it.

Visually, I could care less when deciding where to set my ride height--I just want it where it belongs for the best ride, etc. But for those who do, here is the ride height using the measurement from bottom of the steering knuckle arm where it meets the tie rod end, and the ride height using the measurement from the bottom of the steering knuckle arm just below the ball joint next to the grease zerk.

The one with the U.S. flag in the background used the measurement just below the ball joint next to the grease zerk.
The height difference between the two methods at the front fender was about 3/4".
Measuring next to the grease zerk makes the top of the fender about the same height at both axles, front and rear.
Measuring from the point at the tie rod end makes the back end higher than the front.

I have no clue whether Plymouth & Chrysler Corp. intended the back to sit a little higher, or if they're supposed to be even. Who knows?

Belvedere right height higher.jpeg IMG_2727.jpg

Last edited:
Visually, I could care less when deciding where to set my ride height--I just want it where it belongs for the best ride, etc. But for those who do, here is the ride height using the measurement from bottom of the steering knuckle arm where it meets the tie rod end, and the ride height using the measurement from the bottom of the steering knuckle arm just below the ball joint next to the grease zerk.

The one with the U.S. flag in the background used the measurement just below the ball joint next to the grease zerk.
The height difference between the two methods at the front fender was about 3/4".
Measuring next to the grease zerk makes the top of the fender about the same height at both axles, front and rear.
Measuring from the point at the tie rod end makes the back end higher than the front.

I have no clue whether Plymouth & Chrysler Corp. intended the back to sit a little higher, or if they're supposed to be even. Who knows?
This original sales brochure has me thinking it was meant to sit level front and back.

Belvedere sales brochure.jpg

It's measured from the area directly below the ball joint, not at the tie rod end. You don't angle the measurement. The illustration shows this, not back where the tie rod is.

Auto Transport Service
Back