• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ring Gear date code

Superbee Sean

Local time
5:32 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm for me…..on the Ring Gear in my 8 & 3/4 (489 case) rear end, right after the gear ratio, there are numbers which look like a date stamp. Mine says 10 25 70……is this a date code? Thanks in advance.

That would be correct. The Mopar gear sets had a part number and date on them.

Cliff Ramsdell
Thanks Cliff. Just my luck!! That is pair for the coarse!! The case being a 489, which according to my restoration book, didn’t even come out until mid 69. 3.23 gears (which would be correct for the car) but with an open case, doubt it was correct. Now I know for sure, with that date……probably came from an A Body, or truck. Definitely not from my 68 Bee. That was the last surprise she has for me, since everything has been removed and opened. The search for a Sure Grip begins……

Parts swapping was common back in the day. As I recall the 489 pumpkin did come out sometime in '69. An open 489 could have come out of an A, B, E or C body.

which according to my restoration book,

Please tell me you are not using the Herd book as a restoration reference. It's full of errors, mis information and simply wrong items as documented by other sources. It's crap.

Carrier_text_550.jpg

68_Axle_Housings_489_800.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have the fender tag for the 68? Post it here. It will tell what rear ratio and SG or not. A sure grip was an option on most cars without a Dana 60. 1968 performance B body would have a 2070742 case.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.co...DataBook/1968/68_Super_Bee_Suppliment0004.jpg
No sir, no fender tag on my car. My vin tells me it was a Lynch Road offspring. The case is a 489……I pretty much knew right there it wasn’t what the 68 Super Bee should have. Put this component with the engine and transmission that aren’t numbers matching either. It’s still an original 68 Bee, which in itself, is worth saving. The only thing that is correct in that rear end is the gear ratio…..3.23, which I assume were good enough with the 383 and 4 speed….just can’t see myself doing one wheel burnouts, after all this work……
Thanks!

which according to my restoration book,

Please tell me you are not using the Herd book as a restoration reference. It's full of errors, mis information and simply wrong items as documented by other sources. It's crap.

View attachment 1220614

View attachment 1220613
Well, had to go out to the garage and look……and yes, Herd is the author. I thought it did contradict itself once or twice…..this is good information I need to know. What book do you recommend for a good reference? So all I really know right now is the gearing and the date, which is soo far off of what it should be. Ugh!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back