• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rm21 to Rm23 Conversion?

alldatjazz

Local time
9:04 AM
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any info on this.

I found an rm21 roller, but I really prefer the cleaner lines of the hardtop, plus the functionality of the Rm23 windows.

I've tried to search up about potentially removing the post and converting the windows etc, but I can't really find anything. Ive read conflicting things about how the coupe is designed as well (riveted vs welded post etc).

Anybody have any info or links for me?

I know it kinda sounds dumb to do, considering the rm21 is technically more rare... But I just can't get over the fact the hardtop looks better imo.

IMHO.....

Instead of going to all of that work.......

Maybe consider trading your RM21 roller for an RM23 roller....in all likely-hood, it'll save you both the time and the money......

IMHO.....

Instead of going to all of that work.......

Maybe consider trading your RM21 roller for an RM23 roller....in all likely-hood, it'll save you both the time and the money......
I don't currently own it, I was looking into it as far as potentially buying it. Trying to research the time/money aspect before going to make a serious offer. If it's not feasible, I don't wanna waste anyone's time.
Door glass is different .
Yeah I know the roll down vs flip out thing. I'd assume the mechanics/weatherstripping etc are all different as well.

Can't find any info on the shape etc of the glass though

The front door glass is different for the hardtops, the rear quarter glass is also different.

You might download the factory parts catalog for the 1970 models here....https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/partscatalogs/70_71_Mopar_Parts_Catalog.zip ....then compare the schematics for the hardtops vs. the sedan/post cars. This will give you a way better idea of what parts are different between the two models, and a pretty good idea of what all you'll need to change out.

The front door glass is different for the hardtops, the rear quarter glass is also different.

You might download the factory parts catalog for the 1970 models here....https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/partscatalogs/70_71_Mopar_Parts_Catalog.zip ....then compare the schematics for the hardtops vs. the sedan/post cars. This will give you a way better idea of what parts are different between the two models, and a pretty good idea of what all you'll need to change out.
Amazing link! Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much.

Well, if you decide to buy it and convert it to a coupe. I would be interested in the post car windows as I need the door windows for my Roached Runner.

20210530_123448.jpg

The post coupe is a more stout structure to begin with - why a lot of racers back in the day
preferred them.
If you don't want a pillar car - don't buy one.

I bought a new '69 SuperBee coupe. I like the coupes better because, not only are they rarer, but the structure is stiffer. I always thought the coupes looked like they meant business, whereas the hardtops often got prettied-up with vinyl tops, bucket seats, console, etc.

I prefer a hardtop on any car of any brand. I have a good friend who is the opposite and he will tell he prefers a post on all cars. It’s all in what you like!

It’s just a piece of welded in sheet metal on the coupe. Like others have said, you need the door glass, rear quarter glass and the wind mechanism. Unless you are going electric. These cars weren’t true sedans like the available ‘68 Dart. That had a completely different roof, framed doors, and a different backlight. Here’s the ‘68 Dart for comparison.
77F553E5-0607-4854-89E9-10CBBB5A3130.jpeg
072705F7-6414-417C-A605-2119BABC4362.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back