• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RO 23 Hood scoop

66_B_Body4ever

Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
Need a little help locating an aftermarket/OE RO 23 hood scoop that will be affixed to my 66 Belvedere. Anyone know of any sources?

Thanks in advance

Mopar or no car!

not sure on the number but wwwpaddockparts.com has the superstock type hoodscoop on there site. The part number they show is pad03834. The scoop on the website is $154.95 plus shipping.

VFN has a 5" high R0 scoop or a standard height. AAR has them WS racing,and Sledcity...I'f I did a functional scoop looking for improvement I'd go the VFN 5", it's $140.00 plus shipping.
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/site.htm
Click on catalog then factory style scoops at the bottom of that page.

Thanks guys, love your cars. Gary 67...have you had the 66 down the track? If so whats the best your car has run? BB I guess?

I appreciate the help.

Mopar or no car

AARs is a nice heavy piece, kramers also has them and we used a sled city scoop on a buddys 66 charger took a little grinding and sanding to it but it came out real nice.

Gary67/ VFN fiberglass has a few things I need including the 5" scoop, looks alot better than the one at paddock. I had been looking and they were the only ones I had found. Do you know anyone that bought any bumpers from VFN, price is good, Quality??
Scott

Thanks guys, love your cars. Gary 67...have you had the 66 down the track? If so whats the best your car has run? BB I guess?

I appreciate the help.

Mopar or no car
I have a best so far of 11:59 @119.65 mph. It's a 440 30 over iron head motor. I am not taking it out again till I get a rollbar installed. I Haven't really hard launched it yet, It has plenty more in it, just need to make some safety upgrades.

Gary67/ VFN fiberglass has a few things I need including the 5" scoop, looks alot better than the one at paddock. I had been looking and they were the only ones I had found. Do you know anyone that bought any bumpers from VFN, price is good, Quality??
Scott
I have a vfn front bumper, but I traded a scoop I had for it, didn't buy new. It fits ok, I think the guy I bought it off of smoothed the upper portion a bit with a dremmel or similar tool. Haven't seen one straight out of the box....

Thanks again for the replies, while ultimately I want a functional scoop with max performance, I like the way the stock profile of the ro 23 looks. I am a bodyman by trade and my experience is there are no perfect fiberglass parts out there, so modifying or straightening the parts is a given. The car I have came with front and rear glass bumpers as well as glass front fenders, not sure of the manufacturer, will check when I get home. Gary 67, are you running leafs out back/stock or SS suspension? I remember my old 66 being a handful with a healthy 440. As I am about to finish the mini tub area I am trying to determine what to do for rear suspension to make the car more managable on the street and strip.

Thanks again for the replies, while ultimately I want a functional scoop with max performance, I like the way the stock profile of the ro 23 looks. I am a bodyman by trade and my experience is there are no perfect fiberglass parts out there, so modifying or straightening the parts is a given. The car I have came with front and rear glass bumpers as well as glass front fenders, not sure of the manufacturer, will check when I get home. Gary 67, are you running leafs out back/stock or SS suspension? I remember my old 66 being a handful with a healthy 440. As I am about to finish the mini tub area I am trying to determine what to do for rear suspension to make the car more managable on the street and strip.

Really? Was it stock 318 suspension? My 66 Hemi Coronet has the factory Police (Hemi) rear springs, has had the torsion bars switched to /6 bars, the sway bar removed, frame connectors, adjustable pinion snubber, adjustable drag shocks and launches at 5000 perfectly straight with drag radials.

As it was my first BB car at the ripe old age of 18 (28 years ago...ouch) I recall it being a 318 car having the 440 (67 vintage) already transplanted by a previous owner. So yes she was weak in the knees in regards to suspension. At this point I have a relatively blank canvass and just want to get it right off the start. I am thinking SStock springs and bigger torsion bars as this Belvy was a 318 car (however has a Hemi K member) and appears to have the small dia. bars up front. I will need to swap out the Hemi K member for a BB K member (will be up for sale soon). Gary 67 mentioned he wanted to install a cage before he went any further with quicker et's on his car thus my question to him about handling...input is valued here guys...I barely remember driving my 66, 68, or 70 B's and have the chance to do it right!
Thanks

It sounds like you are building this for the strip. If so, I would not use the sway bar. It serves no purpose on a drag car, adds weight on the very front of the car, and some seem to think they even fight what you want the car to do on the strip.

Unless you are going to tub the car you can't get a big enough tire in the wheel well to have a need for the SS springs. They will make your car sit a lot higher in the rear which will transfer more weigh to the front, which is NOT what you want to do. The factory Police (Hemi) springs should be all you need and the car will sit better.

I have an old hot rod magazine interview article with Dick Landy where he is giving his tips for stock class racing modifications that are very subtle things that are pretty much undetectable that make a difference and explains why they work. The /6 torsion bars are one of the things mentioned. The article was from 1969.

Thanks 696pack,
you triggered my memory and sent me digging into my Mopar library I have saved for the last ??? years and found my old Direct connection chassis manual. I am a little torn about the end result of the car...It already has the spring relocation kit installed and wheelhouses removed for extra tire accomodation as well as subframe connectors, the end result will be a pro street configuration, and being its a 318 Belvedere I have a clear conscience with the mods I am planning. Not sure how we got off topic from the ro23 scoop, but its all good. Thanks for the interest and information. The DC manual is a great resource.
Cheers...

I got my scoop from Sled City Fiberglass (614-875-0369). I met Larry at nationals and he was a good dude. I paid about $130 but that was about 2002. It is a good quality piece and has all bolts molded in. Easy install

100_2363.jpg

Wow...thanks for the great picture. I will check them out. I would assume you made it functional. What engine intake setup?
thanks...

Yes it is functional, I cut a hole in the hood with my trusty jig saw. I have a not so mild mannered 440 bored 60 over with a with a performer rpm intake and an 850 speed demon.

Awesome, thanks for your input, love to see more pic's of your car...obviously a Coronet, love the 66-67 B-Bodies...

I've been running a WO23 reproduction hood scoop on my 66 Coronet 500 since I bought it back in 1989. My scoop was made by a company that is no longer in business, so I can't help you there, but if I were buying a new scoop today, I'd be buying it from AAR Fiberglass.

Richard

http://www.aarqualityfiberglass.com/cart/

1966 Coronet - Performance Dodge car show - Nov 1998 #2.jpg

1966 Coronet - WO23 hood scoop.jpg

Fantastic car, thanks for the shots, especially the underhood...I am taking my 66 with me as well...its all I ask for!

Auto Transport Service
Back