• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roadrunner horn doesn’t meep meep

anthony69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
I have 69rr I bought off a friend he has a restored horn but it doesn’t make the roadrunner sound. It’s sounds honky and hallow. I changed the horn relay and sounds the same. I tried to tune it, it does nothing. Is the horn bad.

19EC0A14-EC46-457B-A6CF-7B242A8EBED5.jpeg

Do they have a tuning screw on them? If so just try turning it one way or the other until you get the tone you want.

It's just an old jeep horn when it comes right down to it.

Could be your picture angle, but is that a short arm mount vs the correct long arm. I have the same issue on my Bird, someone back in the 80's put a '71 up short arm horn on after drilling out the threads to mount it to the rad bulkhead nut. 69 / 70 use a long arm mount, just wish I'd known that before I paid $$'s for a new NOS horn that matched what I had (and then questioned the threaded hole in the arm)! Have since obtained an inop long arm horn for the arm.

What model and year VW ??

I read somewhere about the VW horn sounding the same. I never related the two before but I do remember the older Beetles and they did have the "Meep" sound to them. Some even had the same type of outer cover on them IIRC.

Last edited:
It's just an old jeep horn when it comes right down to it.

Could be your picture angle, but is that a short arm mount vs the correct long arm. I have the same issue on my Bird, someone back in the 80's put a '71 up short arm horn on after drilling out the threads to mount it to the rad bulkhead nut. 69 / 70 use a long arm mount, just wish I'd known that before I paid $$'s for a new NOS horn that matched what I had (and then questioned the threaded hole in the arm)! Have since obtained an inop long arm horn for the arm.
Yes it’s a short arm horn. It was restored twenty years ago. My friend never installed it in the car.

Then it's a '71 up horn with the threads drilled out so it can bolt on like 69/70's do to the radiator support welded in nut. '71's and up use a bolt through the mounting structure into the threads on the horn arm. This is the correct horn mounting arm for '69/70 AFAIK.

superbirdcleanup20182019 039.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back