• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rock auto fails!

Bb70charger500

Local time
8:54 AM
Reaction score
Well guys I always go to rock auto when I need a better price on a part! Well no more for me!!!
So about 2000 miles ago I rebuilt the brake system on my truck 05 f250 king ranch 4x4
Got heavy duty everything from rock auto!
Mind you it wasn't cheap but definitely better then autozone!
Well I had a run picking up a Camaro to part my pass rear caliper blew apart piston got cockeyed and locked me up I fixed this in an o Riley's parking lot !
Figured ok stuff happens but only 2000 miles this sucks !
Well I was on a haul the other day and the front brake drivers side locked up !
So I'm very much over rock auto obviously there parts are junk !

About a month ago my wife's cuz' truck broke it was the throttle body I went threw 3 throttle body s from them before I finally just took one they sent me and finished the rebuild myself they left out a few plugs !
They refused to refund shipping on them nor give a discount for me having to fix it myself .
Again junk parts

Be warned quality is crap now !

My son swears by them. I think its just low quality items for a quick sale purpose. I wouldnt buy anything unless its of a brand rebuilder .

Thing is they simply ship parts from major stocking warehouses owned by other companies... They don't make of repackage anything..... I buy allot from my local stocking warehouse, they only sell to commercial accounts.... Talking with the salesmen they will tell you what suppliers products have a good track record & what parts don't...

Ten to fifteen years ago the best parts were the higher priced premium brands.... For at least the past five years the premium branded stuff has had a higher failure rate than the price leader stuff....

Again what I bought from them was the best you could get and it was trash

Well I have my own issues with RA, mainly with mislabeling parts, not listing parts correctly, etc. but overall I don't have an issue with the parts themselves. I have bought a lot from them and probably will continue to. Hell, they even had 426 Hemi motor mounts (the rubber parts) when guys on eBay had the same exact thing for probably 100x the price. But hey its a free market and you can buy from whomever you want.

I guess I don’t get the original post’s issue. As stated by someone else they have different levels of quality and prices from OEM to Chinese crap. I’ve probably ordered 100 times from Rockauto and have had maybe 5 orders messed up. Yes their return process is a pain in the *** and sometimes not even worth sending back. Also the way they change the warehouse locations as you add more parts seems like a scam to get more shipping costs from you. At the end of the day their savings is hard to beat. Best deal I ever got was my last order of a transfer case shift lever for $64. Exact same part from the same manufacturer at O’Reilly’s was $209. I couldn’t order the part fast enough.

Last edited:
I am fortunate that I have a real auto parts store that I've been going to for 40+ years.
I was loyal to one of my local parts stores for years. I purchased a replacement clutch for my Neon and when it wore out (5 years later) I checked price with RA. The same brand clutch was priced $100.00 less than I paid 5 years earlier. Not too thrilled with part store prices now days. My refrigerator is plastered with RA magnets.
Mike

Thing is they simply ship parts from major stocking warehouses owned by other companies... They don't make of repackage anything..... I buy allot from my local stocking warehouse, they only sell to commercial accounts.... Talking with the salesmen they will tell you what suppliers products have a good track record & what parts don't...

Ten to fifteen years ago the best parts were the higher priced premium brands.... For at least the past five years the premium branded stuff has had a higher failure rate than the price leader stuff....
This is an important point - Rock Auto is what is known as a "drop shipper".
As Wild says, they have no manufacturing, nor any control over said manufacturing - they're merely
"brokers".
Bottom line is - you're liable to get crap from any of the formerly "name" manufacturers anymore, thanks
to their choosing to use cheaper cost of production overseas in order to compete with the cheap crap out
there.
Doesn't matter where you buy it from, that's the odds these days.

If you wanted to warn people about low quality and unreliable parts then you should name the manufacture of those parts.
Had some problems with my wife’s car but it’s not the dealers fault.

I just ordered front brake hoses for my 67 Coronet from RA. They have a brand called Sunsong, which I had never heard of. Looked it up on Google, and it is a relatively new CHINESE company. I opted to order the name brand, Raybestos, parts. Guess what... I got them in a nice Raybestos box. The hoses had paper tags with the Raybestos part numbers wrapped around them. The rubber hose sections clearly had the name Sunsong printed on them......Dammit!

If you wanted to warn people about low quality and unreliable parts then you should name the manufacture of those parts.
Yes! ^^^^This! Was thinking the same thing reading the thread.

@Bb70charger500 You blame RA but you don’t mention the brands you bought from them. The brand is the important part, not necessarily who you bought from. You chose the part, they shipped it and you received it.

No issues at all with RA for me, 100’s of transactions and never any problems. What I order shows up in a few days and I’m down the road.

I just ordered front brake hoses for my 67 Coronet from RA. They have a brand called Sunsong, which I had never heard of. Looked it up on Google, and it is a relatively new CHINESE company. I opted to order the name brand, Raybestos, parts. Guess what... I got them in a nice Raybestos box. The hoses had paper tags with the Raybestos part numbers wrapped around them. The rubber hose sections clearly had the name Sunsong printed on them......Dammit!
Yep, exactly what I was talking about. Raybestos USED to be a seriously good, trustworthy brand name....
but since the market went to whatever was cheapest was what people bought, they went el cheapo to survive,
too.
It's sad.

rock auto is the WORST online company I've ever had the pleasure of wasting my time and money on. not only did they rape me in shipping charges, they sent me the wrong part and then refused to exchange it unless I paid to send it back to them on my dime. their customer service is horrible. screw them , never again

I usually get Wagner or Raybestos brake parts via rockauto.

Some of them have been sketchy in the finish dept (the last Dakota caliper looked like a casting second) but none have failed prematurely.

About the only place I trust to order parts from is Summit, normal maintenance items I like shopping at my local store where I can drive 5 minutes and address any issues. I'm not a bargain shopper, convenience, accountability and supporting my local businesses is more important to me.

I’ve ordered from Rock Auto a few times with no problems. Most of my purchases come from a privately owned Napa store about 8 miles away. All the counter help are older guys that know cars and how to look up parts for them. Maybe not the cheapest at times, but it’s better to keep these guys in business than to keep shipping parts back and forth trying to get the right part.

...and the shipping trick to rockauto is to add several different brands of parts (the same part) that you trust to the cart, then view the cart and remove any parts that come from different warehouses.

They've been trying to make this easier, but this is the easiest approach.

They offer several quality levels on most parts. You get what you pay for.
When I had my '91 W250 it needed tie rod ends. They started out on RA at $1.75 each. I went with genuine Moog for $37 each. But the scary part is thinking someone would get the economy ones. Remember that when buying a car and the seller says "I rebuilt the frontend. (for $7.50). I get from them often,pick the name brand stuff, so far no complaints.

Auto Transport Service
Back