• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rock Falls Raceway Fallout this weekend. Eau Claire, WI

peabodyracin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:16 AM
Reaction score
After a 32 year hiatus, I hauled my car to the Fallout event this weekend. Held at Rock Falls Raceway outside of Eau Claire, WI, this is a nostalgia themed get together, pre 65 only and cars have to look 'period' to run.

I'd heard about it for a number of years. (think this one was year 7) I started thrashing on the car some time back with the objective of being ready, and I made it! Got there Friday morning. The reception I got was amazing. Lots and lots of people talked to me about my car. What a fantastic collection of cars. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood and having a great time. No pressure, no ego's, no nothing. Just plain fun.

Was only able to make one pass, against a younger guy who was racing his homebuilt 57 Chevy gasser for the first time. Very nicely done car. Big block Chevy with tunnel ram. I thought I was a bit nervous until I talked to him. He was awfully nervous. He really wanted the right lane. I told him to just go that way regardless of where the track guys directed him, and I would go the other way; they wouldn't know the difference. Before we staged we looked at each other, gave the thumbs up and got set.

Damn it felt good to stand on the car again after all this time! .289 light. 13.03 time. The car had done in the 12 teens 32+ years ago. MPH was not as high as it was back then, but the car got a bit soft about mid track and didn't seem to be pulling as good as it did the first half. I made some changes while preparing for this outing: different cam, roller rockers, new valves and springs, 727 now instead of a 4 speed, 4:56 gears instead of 4:89 and shorter slicks because I couldn't find any as tall as I used to run. So I've some sorting to do. He was even slower on the lights than I was. I had him pretty good from the start. My car still goes right down the track with minimal fuss. The sound!

I went over to talk to him after the run. He was grinning from ear to ear. It was great to see him so enthused.

It started raining shortly after that pass. Waited around a while and the rain sort of came and went. I finally packed up and headed home. I needed to get back home as my Mom had died Thursday night. She was 95 years old. Had lived a full life and wanted to go, so I was happy for her. Because of that I didn't get back to try again on Saturday. But, I will be back!

Couple photos before I washed the car and removed the white lettering from the slicks.

SANY0006.JPG

SANY0003.JPG

SANY0005.JPG

Very cool car. I was there on Saturday as a spectator. I haven't raced there since 1978, when it was Amber Green Dragways.

Last edited:
Thanks! I remember the Amber Green days. Had run the car there quite a few times from 1974 through 76 or so. Hard to believe it's the same place they've improved it so much!

Very cool I stopped for gas in town Sunday morning (45 mins south of EC where I live) and there was an old period correct gasser looking type car on a trailer. I didnt get to stop and talk to the fella, but now I have a feeling where he was coming from (or going to) I dont know if he raced it or not, it had at least 45 year old slicks on it. So maybe he bought it, showed it, or was taking it up to sell.

Is this track still owned by Corda? I havent raced there for years, even when I lived near by for a variety of reasons.

Corda no longer owns it. I think he sold it about 6 or 7 years ago. There were a lot of cool pre 1966 race cars there on Friday and Saturday.

305487007_5893533540679640_4396751116320786295_n.jpg

Last edited:
Loved the story and know how you feel when behind the wheel. Gets the old blood pressure up. :thumbsup:

glad you had your had your car out sorry for your loss of your mother but i never knew they had tunnel ram intakes pre 65 so that two chevs i heard had tunnel rams unless they where home made like the ramchargers had they should have been there just my 2 cents but chevy guys get there way

Thanks for your comments! The reality was the car needed to look 'period' from the outside. They didn't want billet wheels, electronics or trans brakes or later model hood scoops for example on the cars, but weren't terribly hung up on the engine details as long as there was a hood covering the engine. The intake I'm running wasn't around in 65 either, nor was the Holley I'm using.

I felt they'd struck the right balance in what was/was not allowed. Regardless, it was great fun and I'm already looking forward to doing it again next year!

Thanks for your comments! The reality was the car needed to look 'period' from the outside. They didn't want billet wheels, electronics or trans brakes or later model hood scoops for example on the cars, but weren't terribly hung up on the engine details as long as there was a hood covering the engine. The intake I'm running wasn't around in 65 either, nor was the Holley I'm using.

I felt they'd struck the right balance in what was/was not allowed. Regardless, it was great fun and I'm already looking forward to doing it again next year!
but had no hood on the one

I raced at Rock Falls from 1980 thru 1992 as a bracket 1 racer. I did pretty well there. Al Corda was an interesting guy, arrogant sometimes, very friendly other times. Many years on the Rock Falls Div 5 ET Finals team. I will get my Satellite back there.

Auto Transport Service
Back